Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In this thread I will catalog the refinish process of a Kramer Focus 1000, Boots-Paul is sending me soon.

I have purchased the correct holoflash film from fleabay, unfortunately there was only piece left, I was going to get at least 2 for practicing laying it down with the hot iron. It is stated that one piece is enough to do 2 fronts.
this is what I bought. $20

My plan is to dismantle and refinish the body and headstock in gloss black(it's already black but going to need a smooth surface), and apply a complete or near complete cover of holoflash to the front surface. IF I am really happy with the way it looks, it's staying that way for awhile, and once I figure out that crackle finish, I may do a black crackle over the top. Because Holocrackle = BONER.

Resource links:
video on applying film(bad quality video)
does anyone know how to put holoflash film on?

holoflash $20
sealing iron $23
trem stud/anchors $15
sanding materials $40

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for $15 shipped from StewMac, got new string clamps and bolts, and trem studs and anchors.

This takes care of everything I need for this project other than paint and doing the actual body work :D Should start moving along now.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guess I should update this thread,
the body is bare of all parts other than the trem studs and mounts. Neck pocket has the number 18 written in it.
need some weird star bit to get the nut off the neck, and remove the tuners, then its on to body work.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pulled the trem stud anchrors today with some long needle nose pliers leveraged against another pair of pliers laid across the body, removed the nut and tuner. May be heading to body work this evening if my buddy gets home who has the paint booth etc.

only hold up I can think of is how I'm going to fill the tone/killswitch hole. Any ideas other than using body puddy/fiberglass reinforcement, there has to be a better way, like, wood slug maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Been talking to a pro guitar painter about the holoflashing process and I'm starting to get revved up about finishing this project.

The reason the iron is used isn't to 'melt' the holoflash back to the paint. It's used to heat the paint and make the holoflash film stick to it. He said his trick is to apply it to a fresh paint after it dries some and becomes really tacky. He even clearcoats pickups and holoflashes them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.