Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that my ESP feels like an extension of my body, like butter to play on, like I know it in my sleep from the first time I picked it up...

But every Dean guitar I've ever played I'm like a freshly born giraffe trying to walk?

I don't know what it is about Dean's I just cannot get away with them, and I struggle with my palm muting most of all, maybe it's the bridge.

Anyway I think it's about time me and my ML put my mutual disrespect for each other to one side and got it flogged.

Since it's on the way out I needed a 6-stringer for my E-standard thrashy stuff to replace it on the cheap.

Incoming - This Kramer Striker! What better to play 80's inspired thrash metal on than a gaudy 80's looking superstrat with hockey stick headstock lol. On it's way to me as we speak!

Anyone on here have any Kramer's that aren't from the classic 80's era? Are they as bad as everyone makes out now they are made by Gibson? Figured it's worth a punt for under 200 bar.

If it plays well I have a set of Seymour Duncan Black Winter's kicking around ready to rip!

Attachments

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I actually bought I believe that exact same Strike model probably ...jeez, nearly a decade ago? The neck is great on it, and I swapped out the pups for an Invader/'59 combo, and it sounds real full and a solid mid-range that cuts through.

Hell, if the neck on yours is bunk for whatever reason, I can just ship you mine since I was going to toss the thing anyways :lol: (nothing against mine, I just did some fucked up stuff to the finish and now it sits in a corner looking ugly)

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Sorry, I thought you said gaudy? :scratch: That looks pretty classy to me

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
This thread is weird and it should feel weird.

Nice fiddle!

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I played a Dean Vinman I thought was pretty good, and I've played a couple of good Cooley 7s.

Otherwise, yeah, kinda.

Nice Kramer, although a non-Floyd guitar with Kramer on the headstock is just wrong, somehow...

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I played a Dean Vinman I thought was pretty good, and I've played a couple of good Cooley 7s.

Otherwise, yeah, kinda.
The biggest problem is all the import Dime models. I don't think I've ever played one that isn't a total pile of crap. I've played plenty of good EVOs--I owned a particularly good 7-string version, but I didn't get on with the neck--and the USA Hardtails are universally outstanding.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Somehow MAB plays on his import signature models but I think that guy could play a twig with some floss on it better than I can play guitar so who knows lol.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Somehow MAB plays on his import signature models but I think that guy could play a twig with some floss on it better than I can play guitar so who knows lol.
I saw those up close when we played with him a couple of years back. Jeez, what pieces of crap.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually bought I believe that exact same Strike model probably ...jeez, nearly a decade ago? The neck is great on it, and I swapped out the pups for an Invader/'59 combo, and it sounds real full and a solid mid-range that cuts through.

Hell, if the neck on yours is bunk for whatever reason, I can just ship you mine since I was going to toss the thing anyways
(nothing against mine, I just did some fucked up stuff to the finish and now it sits in a corner looking ugly)
Haha well thanks for the offer man 😛 you don't fancy jazzing it up as a new project then?

Yeah I considered the invader for it myself but I'm gonna try the black winters in the mean time as I have a set lying around. And they are savage as well.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry, I thought you said gaudy?
That looks pretty classy to me
Lol yeah well compared to my usual black on black standard strat with standard headstock it's pretty off the wall for me lol! Admittedly as superstrats go it's very conservative lol, the gentleman's shredder if you will!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Otherwise, yeah, kinda.

Nice Kramer, although a non-Floyd guitar with Kramer on the headstock is just wrong, somehow...
Yeah I know it is wrong on so many levels lol but floyds aren't my bag

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
The feeling you get from Deans I get from quite a few brands actually. LTD being one of them, funnily enough. And Schecter, and Dean. Among them are a few great models here and there, but they've got to be found. Charvel, for me, are the brand that feel like an extension of my body. Just a natural fit for my hands.

The biggest problem is all the import Dime models. I don't think I've ever played one that isn't a total pile of crap
With the exception of one or two I've played, I agree. And, although this is a bit of a hipster/purist thing to say; it could be the best playing guitar in the fucking world, I still wouldn't own it if it had any posthumous link to Dimebag. I loath the way they've cashed in on his death and legacy. Absolutely fuck them to death.

That said, I'd absolutely kill for an original Floyd'd ML.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
I had a Dean Black Gold Explorer and it was a decent enough player, definitely better than the Edwards Les Paul that spent a week in my house the same summer. It was also a great looking guitar :)

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
My guitarist has a MIK Dean ML with a Dimebucker in the bridge that he rarely takes out. I played and it actually felt and sounded pretty good. I can't say the same for other Deans I've played.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I used to have an EVO special 7 but that was like my 2nd guitar costed me about 300 bucks. I loved it at the time I had it but the neck was really chunky on it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a Kramer Striker that I got from Musician's Friend about 8-10 years ago....it's ok for a cheapy guitar. Got some old pics....including when I put Carvin pickups in it (I still have the original pickups though). I like it...even though it has sharp fret ends. :p :metal:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts