Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been talking with KxK and am buying the prototype for the first KxK Sii-8. I won't say whose guitar this is a prototype for, so if they want to chime in they can. My understanding is that Rob doesn't intend to build anymore of these, so this is in effect one of two.

28" scale
27 frets
Blank ebony board
Mahogany neck through
Mahogany body wings
Hipshot custom purple anodized aluminum bridge
Custom purple anodized aluminum knob and switch tip
Purple Sperzel tuners
BKP Rebel Yell bridge / VHII neck
Active covers painted to match the body
Purple pearl paint

Now for the pics :D

finish will be this color:

Aluminum hardware, pre-anodization

A shot of the guitar with the black base coat on it

BKPs + active housing = :hbang:

First pics with the color on :hbang: (the pics do not accurately reflect the color)

Purple hardware after anodizing

·
Bringer of, Satan Ants
3,384 Posts
Money talks baby...
w0000000000000000000000000000000t

Awesome score dude. :metal:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I believe Hipshot's o-ring knobs are aluminum, and Schaller makes dome knobs in aluminum as well. You could easily get them re-anodized in aluminum.

Not sure about the bridge base plate, though. That would have to be a custom machined piece.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
I think the pics are from his iPhone but I could be mistaken
They just looks much better than before :lol:

I remember seeing pics he had taken of one of his guitars before and thinking, "neh" then seeing somebody else who had bought the same guitar and taken pictures, and then being blown away.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Cool, good to see you're ending up with that. :yesway:

I believe Hipshot's o-ring knobs are aluminum, and Schaller makes dome knobs in aluminum as well. You could easily get them re-anodized in aluminum.

Not sure about the bridge base plate, though. That would have to be a custom machined piece.
IIRC Rob did the saddles as well. He's been working on a flatmount bridge of his own design. I'll have to dig all the e-mails out, but I was basically keeping it under wraps until he was ready to unveil it.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Email dave at fretsonthenet. That man is the robsherman of hardware construction

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
You're right, I dug through my e-mail, and his design is more squared off.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Email dave at fretsonthenet. That man is the robsherman of hardware construction
email sent to fretsonthenet with the Hipshot baseplate dimensions :D

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
email sent to fretsonthenet with the Hipshot baseplate dimensions :D
dude is a fucking champ. I remember seeing a charvel restoration dave poted on hear from him that was ridiculous. like, using birdseye bits for inlays or some shit :lol:

1 - 20 of 168 Posts