Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Picked it up today and just completed the first few cases.

The game is definitely a bit more linear than GTA/Red Dead and is a more serious atmosphere overall. The cases do feel like actual work and a co-worker who is 10 hours in said they get pretty challenging as you move up the ranks. The recreation of LA is as good as advertised and the characters are the most lifelike I have ever seen.

The first 30 minutes are a tutorial of sorts as you work a minor crime scene, but anyone familiar with GTA's controls will pick it right up. So far it looks like it will be a solid game and I plan on playing the hell out of it over the upcoming weekend. :yesway::yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it more like GTA, or more like RDR?

I loved Red Dead (obviously), and while I played all of the GTAs, they didn't really reel me in like RDR did. I'm hoping this isn't just a night-version of GTA.

Everything I've heard so far has been super positive though, and the fact that you can either fast travel or walk (more XP, street crime, etc) is a pretty cool addition.

the characters are the most lifelike I have ever seen.
Also heard this a ton too. :yesway:

Fuck, I have to wait like 3 weeks to play it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Is it more like GTA, or more like RDR?
If you had to pick one, probably a bit more like RDR, but definitely more structured. Each case I did starts out with a cut-scene/narrative of sorts, and it is like stepping into an old movie and playing the lead. I am tempted to run over a pedestrian to see what happens, but so far I am sticking with the rules to add realism.

I can't see kids really getting into this one like a GTA because "fun" is not a factor so far, but from what I have seen this is about as close to a detective career simulation as one can get. You will enjoy it when you get back from the desert in a few weeks.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you had to pick one, probably a bit more like RDR, but definitely more structured. Each case I did starts out with a cut-scene/narrative of sorts, and it is like stepping into an old movie and playing the lead. I am tempted to run over a pedestrian to see what happens, but so far I am sticking with the rules to add realism.

I can't see kids really getting into this one like a GTA because "fun" is not a factor so far, but from what I have seen this is about as close to a detective career simulation as one can get. You will enjoy it when you get back from the desert in a few weeks.
Reviews make it seem a bit like Heavy Rain, which I fucking loved the shit out of (probably the most unique game I've played in the last 10 years), and that's a huge plus for me.

It's agonizing not being able to Google it right now for fear of spoilers though. :lol:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Reviews make it seem a bit like Heavy Rain, which I fucking loved the shit out of (probably the most unique game I've played in the last 10 years), and that's a huge plus for me.

It's agonizing not being able to Google it right now for fear of spoilers though. :lol:
The guy we deal with at the Seabrook Game Stop has been playing it and said it was very similar to Heavy Rain ( I never played this...but may after hearing how good it is. ) so if you liked that this one should be a hit as well. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The guy we deal with at the Seabrook Game Stop has been playing it and said it was very similar to Heavy Rain ( I never played this...but may after hearing how good it is. ) so if you liked that this one should be a hit as well. :yesway:
Heavy Rain is (imo) worth buying a PS3 for. Amazing, amazing game. Like nothing else I've ever played, I loved the shit out of it.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I was at this awesome video game store near where I work that oftentimes has foreign games and they had LA Noir, so I bought it and Portal 2. :yesway: Awesomeness. If they would have had The Witcher 2, I would have bought that as well, but they didn't. :(

Anyway, probably will get into Portal 2 before I dive into L.A. Noir.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Picked it up this afternoon, gave the first few missions a run through. The detective work is fun, the game plays like Mafia II should have. The gunplay is exactly what you get in GTA and RDR. I'm liking it a lot so far, just the first few missions are so dark I had to up the brightness, but that's usual for a Rockstar game, they like them dark and gritty, while I want to see everything clearly.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
im enjoying it.

although im skeptical as to whether this guy would have gotten away with the insane amount of deadly force he employs on a daily basis.

even for the 40's its crazy! :lol:

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Several hours in now, and just got promoted to Homicide. :yesway:

The storyline is great so far, and you can tell that things are going to get darker and more dangerous for the main character as the campaign goes on. My dad watched one of the cases from start to finish and was actually into it trying to pick up clues. The best way to describe this is like being in a Law&Order simulation with a 40's twist.

It is still fairly linear, but in a good way since you aren't supposed to be screwing off all over the city while on duty, but the optional street crimes that you can answer add a bit of randomness to the missions. Driving is NOT as "fun" as GTA since you can't run over everyone and anything without getting penalized, but still worth it to check out the amazing recreation of 1940's. The partner can drive, which acts as a fast-travel of sorts since you cut to the destination shortly after he pulls out into traffic.

Overall: 9/10 so far, and will probably hold or gain points if the missions continue to get more involved.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Several hours in now, and just got promoted to Homicide. :yesway:

The storyline is great so far, and you can tell that things are going to get darker and more dangerous for the main character as the campaign goes on. My dad watched one of the cases from start to finish and was actually into it trying to pick up clues. The best way to describe this is like being in a Law&Order simulation with a 40's twist.

It is still fairly linear, but in a good way since you aren't supposed to be screwing off all over the city while on duty, but the random street crimes that you can answer add a bit of randomness to the missions. Driving is NOT as fin as GTA since you can't run over everyone and anything without getting penalized, but still worth it to check out the amazing recreation of 1940's. The partner can drive, which acts as a fast-travel of sorts since you cut to the destination shortly after he pulls out into traffic.

Overall: 9/10 so far, and will probably hold or gain points if the missions continue to get more involved.
Great to hear. One of the reasons I grew bored with GTA was that it got really repetitive. Blowing shit up is fun for an hour, but after a while you just want some solid gameplay. That's why I liked Red Dead so much - the world was open, and the missions were varied enough where you could either get into plot, work on side stuff, or just go kick fucking ass for a bit.

I really can't wait to play this.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
My friend at work already beat it and it about to do a second playthrough......he compared it to Heavy Rain. :metal:

Your first week back in town will probably be spent indoors. :D

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My friend at work already beat it and it about to do a second playthrough......he compared it to Heavy Rain. :metal:

Your first week back in town will probably be spent indoors. :D
Given the weather you guys have been having back home, it sounds like I may have little choice in the matter. :lol:

:(

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.