Metal Guitarist Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I don't use latex gloves, but I do hold the tubes with a cotton rag or duster when I change them. Next set of tubes I buy, I'm grabbing one of these too Electro Harmonix Tube Glove Hot Rox UK
That thing probably works like a charm... but it looks entirely wrong.

If I have to do this more than once every few years, I may look into that little tool.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Hey that thing is cool, it might look and sound as wrong as latex gloves but it's actually like an oven mitt for tubes, nice one.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Tubes arrived today. I replaced them all. Switched it to EL34. We'll see how it sounds.

I called my amp tech guy and asked him about biasing it if necessary and he said he'd have it in for a couple weeks, with his schedule.

Warming up now.

UPDATE: Yes, please! No more hiss, no more microphonics, with the Red Dirt overdrive and the SG cranked, it's a rich, growling, heavy tone and no more feedback!

I have no idea how to tell whether I should have it biased, though. :lol:

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Good job, glad to hear it sounds better!

So, how would you compare the EL34B with the 6L6?

About biasing, just crank your amp and play for a few hours, if they have an orange-red sort of envelope around them, they are probably frying :shredder: :nono:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Good job, glad to hear it sounds better!

So, how would you compare the EL34B with the 6L6?

About biasing, just crank your amp and play for a few hours, if they have an orange-red sort of envelope around them, they are probably frying :shredder: :nono:
I'm not sure how to describe the difference other than to say the tone, when cranked up, is less harsh. It has a smooth snarl with lots of low end and decent definition regardless of how I have the eq set. Pick attack does not get lost in a muddy wall of sound - that wasn't really a problem with the 6L6's but I notice a difference in the definition.

I have not tried any solo-type stuff with it yet.

Does that make sense?

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
Makes a lot of sense, I have never tried these particular tubes but it's nice to hear there was an improvement over the 6L6, if I understand correctly and although you did not really have a pick attack issue with them. But it's interesting that they sound less harsh when cranked up, that's definitely a plus and I would not have thought that. I guess they might compare to some E34L but I guess I'd have to try them to see the difference. Also it doesn't seem to be a myth that EL34B have more bass than regular EL34.

Now, clips? Haha

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I have no idea how to tell whether I should have it biased, though. :lol:
You've changed tubes, so the answer is yes it should be. But the stock switch settings are likely to be on the cold/safe side, so you'll probably be ok. If you grab this bias probe, you can work out where your bias is set without having to take the amp chassis out of the shell (assuming you can get the probe and tube in there without running out of height).

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
You've changed tubes, so the answer is yes it should be. But the stock switch settings are likely to be on the cold/safe side, so you'll probably be ok. If you grab this bias probe, you can work out where your bias is set without having to take the amp chassis out of the shell (assuming you can get the probe and tube in there without running out of height).
I'd considered that. But the pot is not accessible without pulling the amp out of the frame. I may get one anyway.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
It won't be, but you'd at least have an idea of where your tubes were bias wise and be able to decide how soon/if it needs adjusting.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
I would have a hard time taking technical advice from some who forgets "r"s. :lol:

Also, Social Media Rep =/= Amp tech. ;)
There's that - but as a guy who edits text, I can forgive the typo. I thought the thrust of the response was adorable, though.

It seemed to be, "Just flip the switch, you simpleton. There's no reason to worry your pretty little head."

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
They've probably put the stock settings on the cold side of things, so it should be safe enough. You'll just not get the full benefit without biasing to the correct range.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
They've probably put the stock settings on the cold side of things, so it should be safe enough. You'll just not get the full benefit without biasing to the correct range.
I'm going to bias it. No question about that anymore.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts