Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got one, or tried one in the past?

I love slide guitar anyway (especially on the rare occasions when I'm recording, as it's just such a nice colour to add to a track), and have always liked the ethereal sounds guys like Chris DeGarmo and Dave Gilmour got out of lap guitars on their albums.
I've been mulling over getting a cheapo lap steel to screw around with for a while, mainly to have a dedicated slide instrument, but also to try out some of the old-school tunings that don't really work on the guitar without a serious setup job. I'm especially interested in the C6 tuning:

High to low...

E4
C4
A3
G3
E3
C3 (a tone below the fourth string).

Looks like it would be quite versatile, and I don't think I'd miss losing the bass notes, as I don't really do much of blues-style slide. I'd be really interested in trying it on a electric drenched in delay...

Any thoughts?

Here's a vid to get the ball rolling... Looks like this guy's guitars are made by the same guy who made Tompo's eight-string resonator.

Reactions: caughtinamosh and 1

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Ok, I am seriously going to either buy or build one. I am leaning towards building one because I need to keep my tradition of only owning guitars with 7+ strings. :lol: This will probably be an 8 string Lapsteel if I ever get the stuff I need to build.

Holy Crap!

·
Bringer of, Satan Ants
3,384 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've been thinking of picking up a cheap lapsteel from thomann when I do my next order. These videos are certainly pushing me towards it. HARLEY BENTON SLIDER II - Irish International Cyberstore They have this one for €88 which is really affordable for something to mess around with. I could try make one myself but I don't have any tuners spare at the moment and buying one would mean I'd get one that actually works!

·
Nobody Has Seen Me Lately
1,191 Posts
The peddal steel player in my band has been after me to make some lap steels. This thread got me thinking about the huge pile of cut-offs in the shop, so over the weekend, the pile got smaller.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh my...:drool:

That sir, is a thing of beauty!

·
Bringer of, Satan Ants
3,384 Posts
The peddal steel player in my band has been after me to make some lap steels. This thread got me thinking about the huge pile of cut-offs in the shop, so over the weekend, the pile got smaller.

So much win! :yesway:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts