Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it was badass. I had my first lesson with the Berklee Jazz guy and he is an absolute Bebop monster. He attended Berklee during the vietnam era to give you an idea of his age, and was offered to teach there upon graduation.

I'm pretty certain the beat-to-fuck Gretsch he plays is from the same era as well. Funny part is that we actually spent most of the lesson learning to speak each other's languages because my theory background is Western Harmony/Baroque nomenclature and ideology and he is as hardcore Bebop as you can possibly get. He kept whipping out altered modes at breakneck speed, and it was all I could do to mentally keep up with his thought process. Woodshedding time for me from now on. It will be years before I wont feel like a dork playing in front of him - he is THAT good.

I need a 7 string Sherman jazz box with a quickness.

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
i kinda felt that way infront of my current teacher. he's not a super-jazz guy, but he's certainly worlds ahead of me in regards to technique, and when we jam, i kinda feel like i should be chewing on a crayon instead.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
My only guitar teacher has that effect on me, it's ridiculous.

can you record him playing something?

·
I think too much
1,877 Posts
i kinda felt that way infront of my current teacher. he's not a super-jazz guy, but he's certainly worlds ahead of me in regards to technique, and when we jam, i kinda feel like i should be chewing on a crayon instead.
:lol:

Not laughing at your experience, but rather the visual of you sitting in a corner chewing on a crayon.

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
I think that's the most motivating part of guitar lessons. Every time I've watched my current teacher I play I feel absolutely useless and extremely inspired at the same time.

:lol:

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im glad I'm not the only one then. It's really fun to explore another music genre that is intensely complex.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
well, you have to get the first one down to move to the next one - and im still not proficient at rock/metal :(

I was supposed to take music (not guitar) lessons from a friend this year, but i never ended up doing it as i wasnt sure i could afford it. I have a buddy who plays guitar and is learnig drums, he took jazz lessons and stuff so he knows a few things - I plan on getting him to teach me how to memorize the fretboard and a couple cool chords.

·
Registered
232 Posts
ha i get same thing going with my teacher.
He can scroll down my music library, and just for the kicks play Technical Difficulties or something like that.or were playing a song,and hes like "yeah not sure i can still play that solo" and then he whips out real tough ones making em look easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same type of thing happened when i did the 5 week summer program up at Berklee.

I ended up with Joe Stump for my private teacher. My first mistake was telling him i was into shred and speed metal.

He sat my ass down so quick.... but i thank him for showing me just how bad i really was and putting me on the path to getting better.

·
Progalicious
75 Posts
I ended up with Joe Stump for my private teacher.
As soon as I read this I was like :rofl::rofl::rofl:

No matter how good you are, you now look like a chimpanzee licking his own fecal matter off a window. Congratulations.

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cripes, even Paul's arrangements of "Misty" are freaking hard. This guy is hell bent on tritone substitutions.....

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Scrapple from the Apple at full tempo = damn. I havent had my wrists hurt like this in 20 years.

I think it was either Sting or Andy that once coined the term "very expensive chords"......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts