Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making the drive to see it. Anyone else want to come along?

Has anyone else watched one in person take off or land?

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
I've always wanted to see one take off. It's sad to know this is it for the Shuttle. :(

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
So..do they already have a new design?
Not really. The original concept from NASA was to go back to an Apollo style rocket and capsule design but for the most part that was scrapped with the exception of the heavy lift rockets due to a change in direction per Obama. It looks like it will be up to commercial enterprises for the foreseeable future to get US astronauts back in orbit and even that is years away from becoming a reality. Until then we have to rely on the Russians for a seat, which isn't cheap.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Not really. The original concept from NASA was to go back to an Apollo style rocket and capsule design but for the most part that was scrapped with the exception of the heavy lift rockets due to a change in direction per Obama. It looks like it will be up to commercial enterprises for the foreseeable future to get US astronauts back in orbit and even that is years away from becoming a reality. Until then we have to rely on the Russians for a seat, which isn't cheap.
:noplease: :noway: This is pretty dumb, especially if sunspots are supposed to drastically decrease soon (as stated in this article: http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/science-101-leon/33699-sunspot-cycle-hibernation.html ), now is the time to start preparing.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Thanks, Dubya. :noway:

·
Registered
110 Posts
I grew up in Titusville, Fla. We would laugh at all the people who would drive in from out of state just to have a launch canceled. They'd stay another day....just to be canceled again. I know it's not funny but it's Florida.

Our house was close enough to Indian river, we would get up on the roof and watch the Apollo launches. Didn't seem that big of a deal at the time. But after all these years, I'm kicking myself for not recording the events. Instead we were too busy getting launched ourselves on chocolate mescaline.

They are something to see though. The fire trial from a shuttle launch is nothing compared to the Apollo.

A lot of people I went to school with are either taking early retirement or loosing their jobs after so many years. NASA - they were son of a bitches back then are are still today. Can you tell I have a hard on against the space program?...assholes. 50 thousand families affected by the Apollo shut down. Now, it's going to happen all over again with the shuttle.

Edit: Pete, IMO -your giving Obama way to much credit for his contribution to trashing the program. I doubt he had any say so in it one way or the other. The call was made long before he came into the picture. IMO. This is the US...the private sector will rise to the challenge...

I also did not mean to slam any one from Florida. I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Yeah, cause it was NASA's decision to cut their own funding, those cunts :lol:

:scratch:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Edit: Pete, IMO -your giving Obama way to much credit for his contribution to trashing the program. I doubt he had any say so in it one way or the other. The call was made long before he came into the picture. IMO. This is the US...the private sector will rise to the challenge...
I just merely meant the directive came from Obama's mouth. I'm very pro Obama and I'm sure his hands were tied when it came time to make a decision regarding the next step for NASA and its space program. If anything, I blame Bush for pushing the moon missions during his term in office. A lot of time and resources were wasted on something that we've already accomplished 30 years earlier. Generally I'm disappointed in the government that they didn't have the foresight to look ahead and plan better. For the first time since the space race began in the 60's, the US will be without a way to launch its own astronauts into space.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
But after all these years, I'm kicking myself for not recording the events. Instead we were too busy getting launched ourselves on chocolate mescaline.
Statement full of win. :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm thinking of making the drive to see it. Anyone else want to come along?

Has anyone else watched one in person take off or land?
I lived over that way for a few yrs in the 90s.. Have seen many Shuttles launch and return.. If you've never see a launch up close, I can't recommend it highly enough.. :metal:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've decided to not go. I can't swing the cash right now, and I'm figuring there's going to be a million+ people there, all who live within a days-less-drive than me :lol:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.314 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

:squint: :squint: :squint:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:crooks: :crooks: :crooks: :crooks:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts