Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks late on posting it but I finally got around to playing on it a bit this week.

No big surprise that I like this one more than the 6L6 version. Have always been more of a Marshall type of guy. The other is still awesome but this one has a bit more character, I guess.

Channel 1 is, well, channel 1. Cleans up ok but I rarely, if ever, use a clean channel. Just nice to have if needed.
Channel 2 is all Marshall. Not too hot and not too cold. Totally meshes with my MXR Custom Badass Modified OD really well. Nice raw, dirty 80s tones all day long.
Channel 3 is like a Marshall and an original 5150 got together and had a mutant little child. And like the original, channel 3 is about as over the top as you can get.
Overall, it's got that nice Marshall low/mid snarl that I personally go for where the other III is the more modern scooped sound. Which is cool too. I would imagine they would blend really well together. Makes me wish I still had the regular III. :lol:
It also has a fuck ton of low-end. Kind of reminds me of the Carvin Legacy. But unlike the Legacy you can actually dial it down and still have a usable tone.
Looking forward to getting this thing on stage(if my band ever plays again :lol: ). The original 5150III cut through the mix like a hot knife through butter. So much that it made me VERY self conscious if I flubbed a note or something. Also, with the EL34s, it uses a bit larger transformers making it a little bit heavier. Might not have to ratchet strap this one to my cab to keep it from vibrating off and on to the floor. :lol:

IMG_20180126_183800125.jpg

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Clips ASAP!

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Awesome, I love EL's too and would love to try one of those new 50 watters. I dont gig and also dont use a clean tone so my LBX really makes me smile. Congrats D-Bot !!!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
:lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Nice :yesway:. I too am a Marshall guy, so I'm not trying one of these until I'm getting back into playing metal :lol:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts