Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up a couple months ago, and never posted a NGD thread for it . I've been listening to a lot more 80s metal recently so I got a hankering for a Charvel. When I got it the action was about a mile a high and the strings were about as old as I am, and it didn't come with the bar. I went to change the strings so I could get 'er fixed up and playable, and the screws in the back of the bridge were stripped out. So I had to wait very patiently on some stuff from Frets on the Net to make my new guitar playable. I was planning on throwing an old school JB in there since it needs to be rewired anyways, but the Jackson pickup sounds killer so I'm probably going to leave it.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I have exactly that guitar in that color, but a previous owner routed it for a neck pickup. Helluva player.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Looks great, congrats! You know though, it would look better with a bomber graphic ;)

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Nice guitar, opinions on those pickups are very polarized, a lot of people (myself included), fucking hate Jackson stock pickups, but a lot of classic Jackson fans get distressed if you pull them out. :lol: Particularly some of the hard line Scandinavian 80s Jackson scene. Although some in America are fans too.

It amazes me that I am ever even to sell shitty old Jackson stock electronics, but some people love them. Some of the rarer ones lik OS J-90s people pay like $60-70 for. Some of the JE units go for way more than they are worth too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks great, congrats! You know though, it would look better with a bomber graphic ;)
I was thinking it needs some crackle.

Nice guitar, opinions on those pickups are very polarized, a lot of people (myself included), fucking hate Jackson stock pickups, but a lot of classic Jackson fans get distressed if you pull them out. :lol: Particularly some of the hard line Scandinavian 80s Jackson scene. Although some in America are fans too.

It amazes me that I am ever even to sell shitty old Jackson stock electronics, but some people love them. Some of the rarer ones lik OS J-90s people pay like $60-70 for. Some of the JE units go for way more than they are worth too.
It's good for what I'm doing (everything on 10 trying to sound like a shitty EVH), but I can definitely get why people wouldn't like it.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The one thing they can do OK is like, Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King style tones. Provided the rest of your signal chain is correct. They have way less bass response and treble response than like, anything else, but if you are running a really 80s rig they can do OK, specifically in a mix, since they have a narrower response than something like an SD Custom, which is what I usually replace them with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts