Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My first real guitar was an MIJ RG470 that got back in 99, and I still use to this day. I found out that there was a 27" scale version and have been hunting one down since. That hunt ended last year when I got this RG470XL.

Of course my natural inclination was to mod this, much like everyone does to RGs. With my main axe having having Dimarzios (2 Breeds and a Red Velvet) and a Gotoh Floyd, I was going for the similar affair. And since I was going to tune it to drop-Bb, along came a pair of Dimarzio Dominions and a Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues 2. And since I've pulled the entire Lo Trs off the body mid performance last time, the Gotoh Floyd was a mandatory upgrade.

Last cosmetic choice I made was to have black/cream pickups. I've got enough black RGs. :lol: Unfortunately, these took ages to be shipped to Melbourne, and they actually got the wrong bobbins on the first initial shipment, but it was worth the wait.

I was also planning on getting Gibson style gold top hat knobs or even gold Speed knobs, but opted out in the last minute. My tech insisted that I DIDN'T go the Gibson route and gave me 2 cream strat knobs for free, granted f I decide to make a change.

I still have to adjust the bridge to my preference, but once that's done this will be ready for pillaging. :james:

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
That high E string looks quite close to fret ends (talking about the front picture, not the side shot)

Actually, I've seen another RG fitted with Gotoh Floyd that also looked the same.

Does Gotoh Floyds have different stud spacing than Edges or whatever these guitars comes with?

I know Gotohs are suppsoed to have 74mm spacing even they have a straight knifeedge, but it still matters a lot where the "hooking edge" is located

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That high E string looks quite close to fret ends (talking about the front picture, not the side shot)

Actually, I've seen another RG fitted with Gotoh Floyd that also looked the same.

Does Gotoh Floyds have different stud spacing than Edges or whatever these guitars comes with?

I know Gotohs are suppsoed to have 74mm spacing even they have a straight knifeedge, but it still matters a lot where the "hooking edge" is located
Rest assured, the setup is absolutely fine.

Because the Lo TRS is a giant bulky bridge, so there's a little exposed cavity on the low E side when the Gotoh is installed. Of course this was something I didn't care about the last time. It plays great and stays in tune when I Vai the crap out of it.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I meant the string close to fret end ;)

I'm absolutely allergic to "close to fret end" guitars. So I just have to point it out. Hahah
And that string isn't close to the fret end either. :flex:

It's totally fine. That photo is deceiving your ADD.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
^
His ADD deceives his OCD so it all works out.

Sweet axe. Destined to be a workhorse?

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Its the angle of the picture Ced you psycho.

Congrats on your score, I have never seen a long scale RG like that.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^
Sweet axe. Destined to be a workhorse?
Cheers mate. Yeah, I'll probably be thrashing this out a fair bit as I've been writing some heavy riffs lately. I've modded it to feel and sound as similar to my main RG470. And since it's my first long scale guitar, I'll need to take time to get used to it.

Its the angle of the picture Ced you psycho.
:hesright:

Congrats on your score, I have never seen a long scale RG like that.
Thanks mate. The XL range were only available briefly during the early 2000s, and there were both 6 and 7 versions. EG: RG1077XL/2077XL etc.

No the strings are fairly centered at the headstock end, while the go far and far more to the edge towards the body end
It's the angle. I tried to fit the full guitar with my phone, but the long scale neck made it a little awkward. You're overthinking a bloody photo of a guitar. :lol: Trust me, I just played the damn guitar and it's fine. :yesway:

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I haven't got a proper chance to play this due to an upcoming session where I have to learn an entire album on bass by next month. But in the little time I played this plugged was damn fun. Sonically, it was home.

The Dominion set really are great pickups. With the Breed being my favorite pickups, the Dominions in drop Bb wasn't all too different (Mark Morton was trialling the Breeds before making his signature so naturally the Dominions are really just tweaked Breeds). Frankly I forgot about them altogether and just played. I also read that they used special rosewood boards on these models (maybe all XL models) to brighten up the sound. Perhaps so, because again, I barely heard any sonic difference with my main RG. It just felt right that I often forgot how low tuned I had the guitar.

The real difference I felt was the feel. This is the first time I've owned a 27" baritone and I had to take some time to get the hang of it thanks to my small hands. It wasn't long until I started thrashing about and pummelling out the riffs. This particular Wizard 2 neck also felt a little thinner than the Wizard 2 on my 25.5 scale RG470, almost akin to an original Wizard. Certainly not a complaint as it did help some big stretches.

The cosmic black Gotoh bridge that I got felt like a cosmetic improvement over the last cosmic black one I owned. But then again, I had that on my Xiphos; a guitar I toured and sweated on extensively so I suppose it's still too early to tell now. Either way, I'm glad I installed that bridge.

So yeah, the guitar really did feel like an old friend, but with a twist. :wub:

Happy NGD! Glad you found what you were looking for!
Thats a cool axe Bloody.
Thanks fellas. To be honest, I wasn't really actively hunting this guitar. I've been frequenting a pawn shop lately and didn't see this there until I looked up their website where it caught me by surprise.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
It's the angle. I tried to fit the full guitar with my phone, but the long scale neck made it a little awkward. You're overthinking a bloody photo of a guitar. :lol: Trust me, I just played the damn guitar and it's fine. :yesway:
I guess that's what counts in the end :)

I will now try to not think about the fret ends on your guitar for a while.

With calipers!
I still haven't bought any calipers. Because I have superior perception.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
My first real guitar was an MIJ RG470 that got back in 99, and I still use to this day. I found out that there was a 27" scale version and have been hunting one down since. That hunt ended last year when I got this RG470XL.
Well fuck yeah dude. That thing rules. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts