Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oblig: Boring scratch drums, and fixing my damn bass tone is still on the to-do list. I'm having a bitch of a time getting the 5 to sustain at all, and as a result it's crapping on my rhythm tone.

Anyway, this is where I'm at this morning:

http://www.chrisquigley.com/facta/mixes/FB-Rally1.mp3

Rhythm is AFX Mark IV, lead is Ch4. Vintage on the Roadster with an SM57 in front of it, using a little delay/verb from the AFX.

Lead is improv-ish, and I wanted to try and get a little of everything in it (muted stuff, harmonics, wah, etc) so mistakes abound. This is the PAF and X2N in my green 550.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Lead tone sounds solid to me. Less "raw" than I like, but that's entirely a taste thing.

If you're having problems with getting the bass to sustain, raise the action a little bit, add some new strings, and as a crutch some compression can help.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's on the to-do list. I haven't really fucked with anything regarding bass at all, so it'll be a topic for another thread entirely. :lol:

For the lead, I'm trying to land somewhere between Vai and JP, flavored to my own tastes. I do a lot of harmonics, and while this has more gain than I'd normally like, it makes them easier to nail if I'm just groovin' along, which inevitably helps me play better.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
It's on the to-do list. I haven't really fucked with anything regarding bass at all, so it'll be a topic for another thread entirely. :lol:

For the lead, I'm trying to land somewhere between Vai and JP, flavored to my own tastes. I do a lot of harmonics, and while this has more gain than I'd normally like, it makes them easier to nail if I'm just groovin' along, which inevitably helps me play better.
Mister Gainiac has changed? :lol:

Sounded good to me man! The rhythm guitars seemed too quiet though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Mister Gainiac has changed? :lol:

Sounded good to me man! The rhythm guitars seemed too quiet though.
That's probably because he's having "cut" issues with leads as he mentioned in another thread. The lead tone is pretty damn good though... it does seem to hold the middle ground between Vai and Petrucci, with a little Satch in there. I don't like Petrucci's lead tone, and I like this, so take what you will from it :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm working on it. There is a mid cut in the rhythms, and a boost in the leads, I think at this point I just need to turn the track volume up, but again, I'm just working on lead tone right now, not overall mix or rhythm levels. :wub:

Until you actually DO this stuff, you've no idea how fucking involved it is, and how easily one wrong setting can totally fuck you over. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm working on it. There is a mid cut in the rhythms, and a boost in the leads, I think at this point I just need to turn the track volume up, but again, I'm just working on lead tone right now, not overall mix or rhythm levels. :wub:

Until you actually DO this stuff, you've no idea how fucking involved it is, and how easily one wrong setting can totally fuck you over. :lol:
Yep. I was "producer" (read: guy who made sure the engineer and the person tracking didn't fuck anything up) for my old band's album. There are a LOT of little parameters you can fuck up.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. I was "producer" (read: guy who made sure the engineer and the person tracking didn't fuck anything up) for my old band's album. There are a LOT of little parameters you can fuck up.
Was it high gain shred metal? :lol: Because man, mixing my acoustic shit is about 900% easier.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Was it high gain shred metal? :lol: Because man, mixing my acoustic shit is about 900% easier.
No, it was that indie stuff I played for you. Which was worse, because the guitarists' idea of good tone was to run an OD into a fuzz into a cranked Super Reverb with two mics in front of it, track it twice, and then we had to find space for a Rhodes piano, bass, keys, a fully mic'd acoustic kit, and synth in there. The most "fun" was when he decided to add cello, saxophones, trumpet, and synth alongside layered guitar and keys during the buildup to one song.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts