Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else ever figured out, if you leave a guitar with a piezo plugged into the instrument cable... will it drain the piezo battery?

I'm wondering if I left my wireless transmitter in the guitar and plugged in, but I'm on the magnetic p/u's setting via the toggle switch, am I ok? I'd assume leaving it plugged into the dedicated piezo output would drain it, but the toggled output might not? :scratch:

·
The Tremol-No Guy
651 Posts
Depends on the guitar and what switching it has hooked up to it.

RULE OF THUMB: PIEZO = UNPLUGITWHENYOUREDONEEZO

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Most active preamps (including piezo systems and EMGs) use either a stereo jack or a switching jack to turn on the power to the active circuit when a plug is inserted into the jack. They always advise unplugging the guitar when not in use so as not to drain the battery.

·
Banned
2,695 Posts
I never leave anything plugged into my instruments. Whether it's a cable or a wireless system, it's just another item for someone to kick/snag and bring the whole guitar down. Not to mention, constant little hits to the cable/wireless system will eventually work on the output jack's lifespan.

Edit: Agile?!

·
Premium Member
1,067 Posts
Leaving piezo guitar plugged in = Battery drain?
yes

coz if you have a battery, then you have an active preamp. if you have an active preamp, then you have a stereo jack input. if you have a stereo jack input, then your battery is working when your jack plugged in :)

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I don't own an electric with piezos :)() but when I had an acoustic that did I would unplug it for fear of draining the battery, I can't imagine it being much different with an electric though.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
When I had EMG's in my SLSMG, the batteries were drained if I left it plugged in so yeah don't keep it plugged ya lazy Bastid.

·
Mr. Oni Guitars
1,366 Posts
yes, even on the magnetic setting. In fact most piezo/magnetic systems will buffer the magnetic pickups so that they can be mixed with the piezos

1 - 13 of 13 Posts