Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
They've always looked fucking awful to me. They look cheap, even though they certainly aren't.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,694 Posts
Is it me or this is a brand we haven't heard much about?
I think we may generally be outside the age group these guys seem to be after.

I *think* one of the guys in Protest The Hero plays one, but that's all I know.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its the only they can make 1K +/- guitars and compete against the other brands. Or do everything in US and charge 4-5K for one and no one buys them...

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I think we may generally be outside the age group these guys seem to be after.

I *think* one of the guys in Protest The Hero plays one, but that's all I know.
I saw they used one for recording Clarity, but they went straight back to using J-Custom Ibbys, ESPs, and Caparisons. :lol:

Jon Doanis of Anthrax/Shadows Fall has a sig model... After ditching his sexy-as-fuck ESP and Washburn sig models.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,694 Posts
I shoulda checked the cases before they moved out :lol: - pretty sure I saw one in there for a while though.

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
Another "let's design a guitar and have it made in Korea/China" Internet company. :dgaf:
There are a few companies doing this well, but not many, and Legator isn't one of them from the $1300 one I played. Ugh.

·
Dream Crusher
21,052 Posts
Isn't Agiles like that as well? Schecter is 90%(if not more) Asia too.
Yeah, but Schecter has good quality control.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Agile is the success story of making an internet-only guitar company. They also don't charge like $1000+ unless you get one of their extreme guitars.

Schecter isn't internet-only. They've been in the business for 40 years.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
I don't get the appeal or reason they even exist. The bodies are all the same old thing that other companies have perfected, the prices aren't in line with what you find in your average guitar shop and honestly it doesn't seem like they're offering anything you can't get elsewhere with more bang for your buck.

Am I missing something? Other than someone trying to make a buck...

·
Dream Crusher
21,052 Posts
I don't get the appeal or reason they even exist. The bodies are all the same old thing that other companies have perfected, the prices aren't in line with what you find in your average guitar shop and honestly it doesn't seem like they're offering anything you can't get elsewhere with more bang for your buck.

Am I missing something? Other than someone trying to make a buck...
They're pretty much targeted at the sevenstring.org crowd. RG-ish shapes, and available with fanned frets and/or many strings.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
^And get artist endorsements from anyone and everyone that only last like 3 days, but long enough for them to advertise that shit.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,278 Posts
Agile is the success story of making an internet-only guitar company. They also don't charge like $1000+ unless you get one of their extreme guitars.

Schecter isn't internet-only. They've been in the business for 40 years.
Well, Agile/SX (Rondo Music) became an Internet only company, but they didn't start out like that (when they opened in 1959). They own their factory in Korea; they don't have their guitars made for them by Pearless or World or someone else, and they used to make the Korean guitars for other much bigger brands as well. They had a very big store in New Jersey for years, which is where the word of mouth started.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,278 Posts
Yeah I know that, i was just referring to the vast majority of them being made in Asia :)
Schecter has a bit of a different history though, it's not straight ownership from '76 to now, it's been 3 completely different ownership groups with completely different philosophies over the years. There was nothing of the company except Dave Schecter's name when the second owners sold that to the current owner in '87 either.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts