Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been feeling the jones for a Les Paul lately but my main complaint is the scale length and well, the price. :lol: So what would be some decent, cost effective alternatives that have at least a 25.5" scale?
And before anyone suggests Agile, I looked over their sight and the only thing I saw that remotely peaked my interest was this: Agile AL-2800 Baritone Camo at RondoMusic.com Too bad it's camo and there is something about the body shape that irritates me. :spock:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
The Hamer Monaco is 25.5" scale length but even used they tend to be pricey. There is even a 26.5" scale length version.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Dean Evo 7? Edwards LP of some sort?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
The dean evo's are pretty consistantly nice for the $

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I have really been jonesing for a decent Les Paul for quite a while. I almost pulled the trigger on an Alpine White a while back, but I just really think a Les Paul should have a killer top with a nice sunburst (but that's just me).

You're not going to believe this, but I have a Les Paul copy made by these guys that I got probably almost 20 years ago, and as much as I hate to say it, I would put it up against a Les Paul today. Granted, I don't believe it's a 25.5", but man did it play and sound awesome. My bandmates used to always want me to play a guitar that "looked cooler" but I just always stuck with that one because it really rocked.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, the Monaco is a touch out of the price range. :D Very nice, though! :yesway:

The Edwards... good price but I can't seem to find one that's 25.5". Same with any of the ESP LTDs.

The Dean Evo. Man... close and half tempting but the headstock just totally kills it for me.

Adam... very cool! It's got a very retro vibe to it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You need to find a Yamaha AES520D6.

26 1/4 scale lenght. :D

Those are *awesome* guitars. A friend of mine has one, and it feels awesome and sounds excellent.

There are also the PRS SE Singlecuts, which are closer to your "expected" scale and are fantastic instruments overall.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
Yeah, the Monaco is a touch out of the price range. :D Very nice, though! :yesway:

The Edwards... good price but I can't seem to find one that's 25.5". Same with any of the ESP LTDs.

The Dean Evo. Man... close and half tempting but the headstock just totally kills it for me.

Adam... very cool! It's got a very retro vibe to it.
new gus-g model is 25.5"

·
18,790 Posts
The studio that Terrorhorse recorded at had a Dean Evo 6 laying around that I loved playing around on. Just couldn't put the thing down, felt great, never played it plugged in though :lol:

Also, a shop in the mall I used to work in had one of these, and it felt really great, and nice and heavy. Again, never tried it plugged in, but it sounded good unplugged, and it was definitely a good piece of wood.

Sparrow Guitar Co. :: ratrod

Can't remember exactly which model it was, but they had one of the Tele copies and a hollowbody too and they were all really solid.

They have some cool options for finish, though they don't list the scale-length...probably 24.75 now I think of it :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Yeah those Yamaha's are really nice.The old Weddingtons were amazing
Years ago I had a Weddington Custom that looked just like that. However, those don't fit the bill for Donnie because they're 24.75" scale.

Yamaha definitely ought to bring those back, but I guarantee you they wouldn't be cheap.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Donnie, this is still a little short for you, but just for kicks pick up a PRS SE Singlecut some afternoon. They're really nice guitars for the money, I'm very impressed by mine.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Donnie, this is still a little short for you, but just for kicks pick up a PRS SE Singlecut some afternoon. They're really nice guitars for the money, I'm very impressed by mine.
Ditto! I love my SE Korina.

Donnie, does it have to be LP-shaped? My Mushok baritone kicks ass, and it's at least mahogany/setneck.

·
I'm full of Hell...
411 Posts
I'd say the Washburn Idol but they're 24.75 scale. I think they briefly made a 25.5 scale Idol a year or so ago but it had a reverse 6-inline headstock. Don't know how picky you are on that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts