Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this is something I've been kind of confused about lately. Ever since I was young(er) all of my guitar teachers have advised against anchoring, saying its detrimental for your technique and will cause problems later on.

So I took their advice, and I never anchored or anything like it. I usually play with a slightly open right hand or slightly fisted.

But...my newest teacher anchors himself and has VERY solid chops, not to say my old ones never have as they were all in a similar bracket.

Here's an example of his playing if it helps at all, he's the gentlemen on the right, he plays around 1:15.

I've also noticed a ton of other guys doing this like the guy from Brain Drill, and the guy from Viraemia.

Do you guys think it might actually be better to anchor? I know a few of you do it as well?

Thanks!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I suspect that teachers who frown upon anchoring your picking hand likely come from a classical background and rarely play standing up, moving around, or looking anywhere but their sheet music or guitar.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Depends on context really.

And that second vid guy is terrible.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suspect that teachers who frown upon anchoring your picking hand likely come from a classical background and rarely play standing up, moving around, or looking anywhere but their sheet music or guitar.
One of them came from a classical backround, the other was also classically trained and Durero was one of them too and I think hes also classically trained. But he's definately used to standing up and playing, his chops are also very solid, his right hand made Bleed his bitch :lol:

Is this maybe just a preference thing?

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Ive seen effective players both ways. If you watch the previews for that "Unlocking the Code" you can see some monster players who anchor.

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
Atonal nonsense I can look past but there's no clarity whatsoever in his playing. That first vid, however, was pretty slick.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
It's all about what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't think there's a definite right or wrong. I anchor but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to it, it's just the way I've always played. My twin brother who started playing at the same time as me doesn't anchor and he also gets along fine. I've seen great players do both.

·
From the Grave
355 Posts
Although if you ever get into any kind of acoustic it can make a dramatic difference. A noticeable change in tone and volume can happen from the extra mass damping the vibrations.

Otherwise, have at it. :agreed:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I don't think it matters too much as long as your muting technique is good and you can shift up the strings smoothly.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
:scratch: What's "anchoring"? I watched both of those videos and the way they played looked completely normal to me. Is there a way to play other than that? :confused:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Although if you ever get into any kind of acoustic it can make a dramatic difference. A noticeable change in tone and volume can happen from the extra mass damping the vibrations.

Otherwise, have at it. :agreed:
The one instrument that I really noticed it on was the banjo. It really kills the sound when I play one because I'm touching off the head on it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mehtab it sounds like when you say "anchoring" you specifically mean anchoring with the pinky.

I always anchor my hand when picking single strings by leaning and pivoting on the thumb-side of my hand instead of leaning on my pinky. This simplifies my wrist motion when picking and makes it easy to do lots of string damping with the side of my thumb.

Anchoring with the pinky makes for slightly more complex picking motion in my opinion just because the pinky is leaning on the guitar and staying still (at least the fingertip is) while the wrist and rest of the hand moves.

As a teacher when I have a choice between techniques which serve the same purpose I always recommend trying the simplest one first, and often the student finds it easiest to learn, but not always.

I think you should follow through with your curiosity about pinky anchoring and try it for at least a few months. If you can feel any advantage to it then it's yours to keep. :yesway:

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
I have a few students who anchor and are able to play as fluid as any other players who don't. My method's always that as long as as it sounds great and is attacked the way you want, it shouldn't matter how you go about doing it. Best bet is to try every option and see what works for your playing style. Look at George Lynch's left hand, for christ sake!

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
:scratch: What's "anchoring"? I watched both of those videos and the way they played looked completely normal to me. Is there a way to play other than that? :confused:
from what I understand, it's stabilizing the pinky on the guitar's body below the E String. Some players find that this helps guide them and provides more control over the strings. Correct me if I'm wrong here

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
from what I understand, it's stabilizing the pinky on the guitar's body below the E String. Some players find that this helps guide them and provides more control over the strings. Correct me if I'm wrong here
You're correct.

I only anchor when fingerpicking. I see nothing coming from anchoring while flatpicking other than to increase stresses in your hand/wrist.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I have gone back and forth between anchoring and not anchoring. Seems like I have found a middle ground with a loose anchor, where my pinky does touch the guitar, but it moves with my hand as I pick from the low strings to the high ones.

At about 3:50 in this video you can see where my picking has settled in at.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Hm. Interesting. I imagined it was something that had to do with the left hand, so I wasn't even watching the right hand in the videos Mehtab posted.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts