Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys like in a bass? I'm looking to get back into playing bass. Electric bass was my first instrument, just switched to electric guitar a few years ago. When I was primarily playing bass I pretty much only wanted to play classic metal (mainly Maiden) so anything other than that is pretty new to me from a bass playing perspective. Bought some fresh strings for my futura and one of these eden practice amps Amazon.com: Eden E8JR E-Series Bass Combo Amplifier: Musical Instruments. I'm looking to buy another bass that is not a 4 string fretted sometime this summer. Right now I'm just gonna get my chops back up to speed playing a bunch of Iron Maiden (fun fact: Playing the basslines to Iron Maiden songs are the most fun you will have playing an instrument, ever. :metal:) Right now I really have no idea what I'm looking for, so I'm open to pretty much anything!

Post Away!

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

A Zon Sonus 5 is definitely one of the things I am really GASing for though.

This looks pretty nifty too, but I'm not sure if I want to go 34" for a 5 string.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
What's your budget?

With any 5-string, play it first. Some have better Bs than others.

-One of the consistently all-around best basses I have ever played off-the-rack (and I have played many of these in a variety of stores) is the Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 (and 6, depending on how many strings you want.) Absolutely killer, versatile sounds, great necks, low action, versatile, and great-sounding. Great clear low Bs too, in general. Weights vary dramatically from ridiculous boat anchors to reasonable, so try a few. Highly, highly recommended.

-A great 5-string MM-style bass is the Ibanez ATK305. Heavy, but gives a great punchy rock sound and can do a fairly convincing active P-bass tone as well. They're discontinued but were recently blown out by Musicians' Friend, so you can get them for under $300 in some places.

-Also, the Dingwall Combustions occasionally come up used for under $1k. I've tried one, and it felt and sounded really good; a fairly different sound from my passive ABII and probably the best low B you'll find in the price range. Very lightweight and well-balanced too. You're just more limited in terms of strings since it's hard to find sets that reach to the 37" low B.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
What's your potential budget anyways? That will help immeasurably :lol:

For most of where you'll be playing (frets 1-9 on a 5er) the fanned frets are a non-issue for me. The only part where it gets slightly tricky is complex chords higher up the neck or doing rapid shifts from low to high (like the ostinato part in "All Right Now.") The tonal balance between strings is about the best I've ever played though.

I haven't tried any of the Zon imports, so I have no opinion; just played a bunch of the real ones at various gatherings.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's your potential budget anyways? That will help immeasurably :lol:
No idea. :lol: I figured I would see if I am going to seriously get back into it and go from there. I was planning on used modulus/lower end zon territory though. But I want to try out a bunch of stuff before I but anything.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
So far i really like "spanky" basses. I want to get hit in the face with the bass tone. So things like jazz basses, rickenbackers make me really happy. I have recently got into fretless basses which are a whole new animal and really fun to play.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
also, to chime in on dingwalls. I dig mine, has a great tone and enough flexibility to please most peoples ear tonewise. The fanned frets take a little getting used to but i jammed the first day i got mine and was fine. The fan tends to fit your natural hand angle so it's not a big deal. Bust a 7 gram rock and get down.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
The Zon Sonus Standard, which is the import bass, is jaw dropping. An absolutely wonderful bass at a great price.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Zon Sonus Standard, which is the import bass, is jaw dropping. An absolutely wonderful bass at a great price.
Bad for me to hear, those are very tempting. Still a bit too pricey for me to justify with how little I play bass.

There was a (Black) Scepter on the TB classifieds a couple weeks ago that I was tempted by. But if I go for a Scepter I need metallic blue for the authentic Coroner experience.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Well, if you can find one the Carvin BB75 is an outstanding bass. I recently bought and returned a $5500 limited edition Smith because it didn't blow my Bunny away. I got that minty new off of the TB classifieds for $600 shipped with case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts