Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Recording is easy, right Chris?"

Yes, yes it is. Getting awesome, shredly tone at home is as simple as plugging in your guitar, buying a bunch of really expensive shit, and then twisting a few knobs.

Let's have a quick tour of the knobs that I have to think about when I record something, shall we? Hopefully this may help aspiring home recorders to create their own personal hell, akin to the one that I live in when I go to track something.

First, we have the guitar knob. We all know what this does! :yesway:

From there, we move to the OD knob. No need to mess with those very often, good to go:

Here, we have the master volume knob on my Roadster. This one controls things like volume, tube happiness, and how quickly the police arrive if I use it after 8PM on weeknights:

Let's move over a bit, and we have the channel volume control, and the EQ knobs. Things like midrange are adjusted here! I'm looking at you, Roger.

From there, we move up to the processor that feeds the almighty DAW. Here, we have the input control from the Roadster. That needs to not clip, but not be too low.

Here we have the output controls! Exciting! Output 1 feeds XLR connections to my MOTU, output 2 feeds the Roadster. Both of these needs to be in the right spot before we move on.

And by "move on", I mean to the other side of the processor. Let's not forget about all of these knobs, virtual though they may be.

Once we're past there, we get to this guy, who belongs to Noodles and doesn't needs to be adjusted much unless it's late at night.

Alrighty, down the XLR we go to my MOTU where things connect up. There's a knob here titled Trim. I've no fucking idea what it does and MOTU wants $20 for the manual, so I just leave it in the "don't add volume" position.

For each channel on the MOTU, there are volume sliders.

Which are not at all related to this knob, aptly titled "volume".

That knob feeds my powered monitors, which have volume knobs on the back of them. Both of them.

The insane knob-laden 1U above the MOTU is a HDC that feeds my second set of reference monitors, which have their own volume knob.

They connect to my computer, which has this lovely bunch of knobs and sliders to adjust the MOTU. These are completely independent from anything in Reaper, and make sure that the signal coming in isn't clipping before AD/DA conversion.

Those all feed these sliders and their knobs here in Reaper.

Which route to these busses and their knobs over here.

Which end up at the track Master here, which has it's own volume control, and more knobs hidden inside!

You know, stuff like this.

That said, you may be thinking "holy fuck, that's a lot of fucking knobs".

Yes. Yes it is. And if any one of them is fucked up, there goes your mix.

Recording is awesome! :lol:

·
Registered
617 Posts
Pfft whats with the lackage of knobs?
Here's what I've to deal with in my dining room

The desk is rarely used but still looks cool! I don't own any of the stuff in the pic either, it's all my housemates.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Weird, you have the Tone on your tubescreamer all the way off?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weird, you have the Tone on your tubescreamer all the way off?
:winning:

I was waiting for some anal bastard to ignore the entire rest of my comical picstory of fun-ness to pick something out to dote upon. :lol:

I don't usually run it there, I was moving shit around (hooking up the Ultra) and must have whacked it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I prefer the phrase "detail-oriented."

:lol:

Well, I can't argue with the rest of the story. There are too many knobs and sliders and switches involved with recording, even with my much simpler setup!

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
This is why I just say "fuck recording". It works great!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
This thread rules. :lol:

It's true though. Each one of those knobs is basically a way to hang yourself before you even get to the finished mix. I enjoy the challenge, but it's pretty maddening at times an has one fuck of a learning curve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts