Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dual Rectifiers specifically. I've never really liked them in the past, but I played one this weekend with a TS808 in front that I really liked. What's the deal on 2 channel vs. 3 channel, good years, and all that (revisions, etc.)?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The one I played was a 2010 (so 3 channel obviously), and I really liked it, but I know that quite a few people believe the earlier 2 channels are better.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I thought your KR100 smoked a Recto. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The one I played was a 2010 (so 3 channel obviously), and I really liked it, but I know that quite a few people believe the earlier 2 channels are better.
That's actually a gen II 3 channel dual, then, with the assignable power section. They sound much better than the Gen I Duals.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, the dual recto I played sounded better at lower volumes than my k-tre. So it does have it beat there. I know, "dual rectos are some of the amps that most need lots of volume to sound good", but the k-tre needs roughly the same volume as a jet engine before it sounds good. The dual recto I played could do great tones at lower volumes (not apartment volume by any means, but lower volumes than the k-tre).

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Rogueleader said:
That's actually a gen II 3 channel dual, then, with the assignable power section. They sound much better than the Gen I Duals.
Better at low volumes? Or better period?
Better period. I have never been a fan of the 3ch Dual (although I love the 3ch Triple), but the new one seems to be the best of both worlds: the tight, crushing rhythm sound of channel three, and the smooth lead tone of the 2ch Dual.

Having said that, you should still get the Triple. It is the better amp in every single way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Also, the dual recto I played sounded better at lower volumes than my k-tre. So it does have it beat there. I know, "dual rectos are some of the amps that most need lots of volume to sound good", but the k-tre needs roughly the same volume as a jet engine before it sounds good. The dual recto I played could do great tones at lower volumes (not apartment volume by any means, but lower volumes than the k-tre).
I have a 2 channel Dual and a Roadster. I can speak about either of those but I've never actually used a 3 channel Recto so the best I can offer is what 2nd hand info on them.

I can say that my Roadster is much better at low volumes than my 2 channel, and I'd say it's safe to assume that the new 3 channel is atleast as good as if not even better at low volumes than my Roadster. So if low volume tone is an important feature for you, then I'd look towards the newer amps rather than the older.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well part of the attraction to Dual Recs is they go for pretty reasonable prices used. I'm not looking for the ultimate amp, just a different flavor to complement what I already have.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Better period. I have never been a fan of the 3ch Dual (although I love the 3ch Triple), but the new one seems to be the best of both worlds: the tight, crushing rhythm sound of channel three, and the smooth lead tone of the 2ch Dual.

Having said that, you should still get the Triple. It is the better amp in every single way.
Tell me about Stilletos. I was also contemplating those in the reasonably priced used Mesas catergory. I played a Deuce head that was sevrely underwhelming, but I wasn't able to get proper volume going either.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

Avoid the first version, since it flat out blows. You can tell the second version by the II above the input jack. The amp sounds like a really good Marshall with a lot more gain, through a Mesa filter. All that glassy top end is there, along with the distinctive EL-34 midrange crunch, but the preamp is definitely Mesa.

They sound AWESOME when played with a Recto, since the two amps fill the gaps in the tone that each has by itself. If you have a co-guitarist with a Recto, it is the amp to get. You don't boost them for rhythm, either, since they already have the gain character you need, much the way a 5150 does. For leads, I use a gEQ in the loop to fatten up the lower mids, since it is only a two channel amp (but with a solo boost).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Avoid the first version, since it flat out blows. You can tell the second version by the II above the input jack. The amp sounds like a really good Marshall with a lot more gain, through a Mesa filter. All that glassy top end is there, along with the distinctive EL-34 midrange crunch, but the preamp is definitely Mesa.

They sound AWESOME when played with a Recto, since the two amps fill the gaps in the tone that each has by itself. If you have a co-guitarist with a Recto, it is the amp to get. You don't boost them for rhythm, either, since they already have the gain character you need, much the way a 5150 does. For leads, I use a gEQ in the loop to fatten up the lower mids, since it is only a two channel amp (but with a solo boost).
Agreed. It's like the best Marshall that Marshall never made, made for Mesa fanboys like me. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Well I had to have played the first version then, because it really blew. :lol: Since I can't be bothered to do my own research, :lol: what are some of the differences between the ace/deuce/trident?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Well I had to have played the first version then, because it really blew. :lol: Since I can't be bothered to do my own research, :lol: what are some of the differences between the ace/deuce/trident?
The Ace combo is one of the best amps Mesa makes, period. I have yet to hear one that didn't sound outstanding.

I noticed almost no difference between the Deuce and Trident, though I've only played a Trident for a few minutes. It's definitely not the dramatic difference you get between the Dual and Triple.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
what are some of the differences between the ace/deuce/trident?
50/100/150 watts, just like the Single/Dual/Triple Recs. The Deuce and Trident have two and three rectifier tubes, while the Ace only comes in solid state, just like Rectos. The Ace also comes in a 1x12 combo that is probably one of the best combos Mesa has ever made.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
50/100/150 watts, just like the Single/Dual/Triple Recs. The Deuce and Trident have two and three rectifier tubes, while the Ace only comes in solid state, just like Rectos. The Ace also comes in a 1x12 combo that is probably one of the best combos Mesa has ever made.
I'll have to keep an eye out for those. I see the heads go for ~$900 used from time to time.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Ace combo is one of the best amps Mesa makes, period. I have yet to hear one that didn't sound outstanding.

I noticed almost no difference between the Deuce and Trident, though I've only played a Trident for a few minutes. It's definitely not the dramatic difference you get between the Dual and Triple.
Even the first version of the Ace combo? I think there is still one for sale on the rig talk forums for around $800, but it is the first version.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts