Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about picking up a used dual or triple rectifier. But to be honest I don't know a lot about music gear and tube amps. I seen there is a bit of variety. I know duals are 100 watt and triple are 150. But there is also two channel and three channel rectos.
Is there a huge difference in tone between them all?
Is there version I should look for in pictular, or be weary of?

If I do get one it'll be hooked up to a Fender MH 412 with Celestion g12k-100 speakers.
I'm currently using a Blackstar HT Metal 100 amp. I've read that it can sound Mesa-ish, but I've never actually heard one in person to say so. Which brings me to my next question, would that money be better spent on a differnt cab?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
There is some tone variation, but honestly, its not enough to worry about. I'd just get any dual or triple and if you like the sound of rectos, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you're looking for more tonal variety, Road King or Roadster has 4 channels and options out the ass. I personally play an older 3 channel Triple and I does what I need it to do. For band situations I would stay away from Rectoverbs or anything less than 100 watts. It's my experience that the power tube crunch doesn't play well with high gain preamp settings (hence why I prefer a Triple).

As far as cabs to go with a Recto, Mesa cabs are the way to go IMO. Any other cab I've used or owned never let my Recto do it's thing. But who knows, a Recto may sound great with your cab.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
For band situations I would stay away from Rectoverbs or anything less than 100 watts. It's my experience that the power tube crunch doesn't play well with high gain preamp settings (hence why I prefer a Triple).
I personally love playing 50w amps balls-out loud as much as humanly possible. It's not that it, "doesn't play well," it's just different strokes for different folks :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, buying used, I have limited options. New is out of the question and the only used Roadster around is a 2x12 combo. Im after 100watt + head only, no combo amps.
But there seems to be a plethora of dual and triple rectifiers in my area. Some priced lower than others.
The two that interested me are a Dual recto (not sure how many channel yet) for $950can
The other is a triple recto 3 channel for $1200
Those are the cheapest ones anyway. lots more in the $1700-2000 range.
Id buy another cab, but I'd like get rid of one first, Ive already got two 4x12 cabs and it's starting to get a little tight in our jam space.
The Fender MH amp is complete shit, but I think they got the cab right. Its hard to find much info, but I'm 99% sure they put Celistion g12k-100 speakers in them. From what Ive read on the interwebs, its suppose to be similar to the Celestian 75watt, just a bigger magnet. They are boomy, smooth, and have a tight bass responce. On paper you'd think it would be a good match? I know it sounds pretty wild with my buddies 5150 powering it, and my Backstar sounds good. Im really curious to see what a Mesa would sound like powering it. If its shit I could always sell one of my cabs and get Mesa to match.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I've run my 3 Channel Triple through a cab with G12K-85s (same cone/basket, smaller magnet) for years. They're like a slightly brighter Mesa C90. Those MH cabs actually aren't bad, I borrowed one once at a gig and it was pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
If you're buying a 3 channel and it's not a multi-watt, the triple clean channel kills the dual, at least for the core rectifier. That was why I went with the triple years ago and I've stuck with it for awhile now.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2 channels would be enough for what I do, 3 would be nice but its not overly important.
Ive read that some people think the dual recto 3 channel sounds fizzy, flabby. Any truth to that?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
No, opinions like that can be taken with a pinch of salt because if they were indeed fizzy and flabby they wouldnt have become an industry standard amp used by countless professional musicians and studios.

If you want insane clean headroom get the triple. If you want to save some cash get the dual. Both will likely blow you away.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
For band situations I would stay away from Rectoverbs or anything less than 100 watts. It's my experience that the power tube crunch doesn't play well with high gain preamp settings (hence why I prefer a Triple).
For several years I ran a RoadKing in 50w mode (2 EL34s), and it had zero problems hanging with a Triple that the other guitarist was using. Amplifier output is logarithmic, meaning to get twice as loud, you need ten times the power. To get twice as loud as a 50w amp, you'd need a 500w amp. Also, the difference between a 50w and 100w amp is 3db.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Pretty much any Recto will sound good, provided you know how to dial it in. Which is not like any normal amp. Keep the bass low for tightness and remember that the treble also adds gain. Play around with some settings and you'll get the hang of it.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
mesa are pretty good with their manuals normally - my mk v one had a lot of suggested settings as well as an overall description of what each knob would do in terms of the sound you were hearing like what James said above - treble adds gain etc.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
2 channels would be enough for what I do, 3 would be nice but its not overly important.
Ive read that some people think the dual recto 3 channel sounds fizzy, flabby. Any truth to that?
It definitely has to have a boost in front of it. The Triple was my choice for a reason.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
For several years I ran a RoadKing in 50w mode (2 EL34s), and it had zero problems hanging with a Triple that the other guitarist was using. Amplifier output is logarithmic, meaning to get twice as loud, you need ten times the power. To get twice as loud as a 50w amp, you'd need a 500w amp. Also, the difference between a 50w and 100w amp is 3db.
Being that other guitarist, yes, this is true.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Triple if one of the newer ones and you want more bite. If you get a two channel old one, get a dual is the general concensus.

Try to get a multiwatt over the older 3 channels.

Roadking II (and roadster) have darker voices.

Run a boost.

Whatever your choice, as long as you realize the recto is a raw amp that rewards how well and true you pick, you'll be fine. It does not like wimpy picking. A boost helps too.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I don't gig or play in a band, but I can tell you my Rectoverb 50 is damned loud when I want it to be.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts