Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Back when Jeff Baxter was in the band, before Fagan and Becker went 'solo' and just used studio musicians.

·
Wants Les Claypool, Sexually
137 Posts
I fucking love Steely Dan.

Jay Graydon's solo at 1:45 is immortal, as are his outro fills. :metal: The bassline is awesome the whole way through too.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I can't watch any of these at work, but more to the point I wouldn't want to - being here without having to listen to Steely Dan pisses me off enough. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
THREAD FAIL.

Sorry guys, but this exposure therapy is NOT working. If anything, it's reminding me of all the songs i HATE and why i hate them.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Bwahahahahaha!!

I thought "Do It Again" was a Doobie Brothers song.

I'm surprised no one posted this one yet:

·
Premium Member
2,232 Posts
my favorite SD tune. Classic lead guitar solo in this one.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Like any band, there are some great ones and some awful ones. I do enjoy me some Steely Dan from time to time though.

I'm guessing it's a lost cause anyways. Darren doesn't even like Queen :nuts:

·
Y R U Avoiding Me?
1,403 Posts
From the other thread. It needs repeating.
Buy "The Royal Scam" and "Aja" cds.NOW.Great songs and IMO some of Larry Carlton's best work as a session guy.Also Fagen's lyrics are some of the most clever and interesting ever written.You can write a screenplay around the characters and scenes he sets up in his songs.

[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I was going to post "Don't Take Me Alive", but somebody beat me to it. I love The Royal Scam, but then I appreciate quite a bit of Steely Dan's music.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ok, I listened to a few videos.

For the first 45 seconds of Dirty Work, I thought maybe I misjudged them, though the kind of effeminite vocals weren't jelling with me. Then I hit the harmonized chorus, and shut it off. Next, My Old School. This sounded more like the Steely Dan I know and loath. I shut it off after maybe a minute. Then, Peg. I recognized this one, and didn't make it more than 10 seconds in. Then, Kid Charlemagne.

Sorry guys. These guys suck. It's like some weird conglomerate of rock, funk, and elevator music with a guy with a whispy, waifish sort of voice crooning over the top and trying to sound more badass than his evident lack of testicles would really justify.

I didn't even make it as far as a guitar solo, and the positively awful "I normally play jazz, but wooo! distortion!" guitar solo from Reelin' In the Years is a big part of the reason I can't stand the track.

To salvage this thread from bad classic rock, I present to you Jimi Hendrix, showing you how an acoustic guitar is meant to be played:

Reactions: darren
1 - 20 of 23 Posts