Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
It's the old Fender gauges that they used to put on all their guitars. I never really understood how they came up with that set either...seems like a fairly arbitrarily designed combination of strings.

Apparently Hendrix used to use 'em, but swopped the ten for some sort of banjo string, so it was probably closer to a modern set of eights.

Would you believe Mike Stern uses these gauges, but puts a fricking eleven on top?:nuts:

If he's comfortable with 'em, then all power to him. Personally I wouldn't know what to do with the things...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's kind of a "loosey-goosey hands" player anyway, but just the same. It's like an Yngwie set on bottom and normal tension on top.

Also, I read that Hendrix was all over the place - his signatures are available in the following gauges from Dean Markley:

8860 RR - 9 11 17 26 32 38
8861 Light - 9 11 16 24 32 42
8862 Regular - 10 13 17 26 36 46
8863 Medium - 11 13 20w/18p 30 42 52

Also, DM is the worst string company I've ever tried. :mad:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
He's kind of a "loosey-goosey hands" player anyway, but just the same. It's like an Yngwie set on bottom and normal tension on top.

Also, I read that Hendrix was all over the place - his signatures are available in the following gauges from Dean Markley:

As with pretty much all the junk with Hendrix's name on it these days, I suspect his estate just got paid a large sum of money, then allowed them to use his name and slap it onto whatever they felt like...:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts

Before I started using exclusively elixirs, DM nickel steel mediums were the only strings I ever used. I love them, and if they lasted as long as elixirs, I'd still use them.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before I started using exclusively elixirs, DM nickel steel mediums were the only strings I ever used. I love them, and if they lasted as long as elixirs, I'd still use them.
I have tried four packs, and each of them has corroded faster than anything else I've ever tried - I would get less than a week out of them, and terrible tuning stability. Could just be me. :shrug:

Still need to get mah boy to man up and throw on some 10-46's.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
I think Glenn and KK actually used 7 gauge top strings at one point...:lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So just because it makes no sense to you, buddy should change his tastes?

:lol:
Yes, because he's in my fucking band and he needs to sport good gear. :mad:

:lol: Like Alex just said, the tension is all over the place. You guys aren't helping me at all, I'll just have to start throwing his 10-38 packs away like packs of cigarettes from someone trying to quit until he buys normal strings.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yes, because he's in my fucking band and he needs to sport good gear. :mad:

:lol: Like Alex just said, the tension is all over the place. You guys aren't helping me at all, I'll just have to start throwing his 10-38 packs away like packs of cigarettes from someone trying to quit until he buys normal strings.
I mean, seriously, unless there's something wrong with his playing, I don't see the issue :lol:

He might like the fucked up tension or something.

·
Registered
577 Posts
9-42's here with 56 for low B, works perfectly for me to be honest. Already thought that 42's were thin but if 38's work for ppl why not. Might actually try it at some point when i buy a 6 string again although i'm not particually fond of dean markley's.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.