Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PODHD | Line 6
Community: Ok, we know about the HD500, why not...

I haven't been the biggest fan of L6 lately, but it'll be interesting to see what they pull out of their hat with this. Only 16 amp models, which is an interesting direction to take for them. Hopefully it's 16 quality models, with no fizz and no sterile sound.

I know 7 Degrees of Dislike will be on the edge of his seat! :rofl:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
'Bout time they started admitting they were getting left behind and needed to start playing catch up. I'm pretty disinterested in buying one of the actual units, but I'll be curious to hear how it goes over.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'Bout time they started admitting they were getting left behind and needed to start playing catch up. I'm pretty disinterested in buying one of the actual units, but I'll be curious to hear how it goes over.
I'm sure someone here will buy it before I do, so chances are I'll hear it before I buy it.

I used to really love my old XT, so I'm still interested in this. A guy I jam with just bought a whole PA system for his wedding :rofl: instead of hiring a DJ, then made a playlist, which actually worked really well. Now he's got this sweet PA that he has set up in his basement, so now I can drop by with just a modeler of some sort if I don't feel like packing up my Mesa.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
My guess is they're probably only offering 16 models to start so they can sell people "amp pack" upgrades later. Unless they're REALLY feeling the heat from Fractal Audio and plan to offer free upgrades.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
IIRC, one reason that L6 has been frozen so long with the Vetta/xt sound engine is that their old design team quit a few years ago to start a new company.

They desperately need a new modeling product, and I'll be curious to see what they come up with. What makes the Axe-FX so expensive is that it uses an ultra high-end processor, which you can be pretty certain that L6 isn't going to spring for.

·
18,790 Posts
If they aren't planning free upgrades, Fractal style, I'd settle for being able to buy individual models and effects. I'd love to have something like my POD X3 with better sound and only a handful of models I actually use.

Also, does it looks like this new model still has the Dual Tone options and 2 inputs? Because that's kind of a big deal for me.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
If they aren't planning free upgrades, Fractal style, I'd settle for being able to buy individual models and effects. I'd love to have something like my POD X3 with better sound and only a handful of models I actually use.

Also, does it looks like this new model still has the Dual Tone options and 2 inputs? Because that's kind of a big deal for me.
That's not a bad idea, actually. Given the choice between a $99 "Metal Pack" or $4.99 models that could be purchased individually, I'd rather do the later. I'd rather pick and choose my favorite models from their entire range, and I'd be way more inclined to impulse buy a Blackface Twin for the hell of it than I would the "Classic Rock Pack" just to get a bluesy clean.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Provided the price is good to start with, I wouldn't mind buying model packs, though it'd be nice if they were split into individual models at a couple of bucks a piece. That way you don't have to spring for stuff you don't want.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IIRC, one reason that L6 has been frozen so long with the Vetta/xt sound engine is that their old design team quit a few years ago to start a new company.

They desperately need a new modeling product, and I'll be curious to see what they come up with. What makes the Axe-FX so expensive is that it uses an ultra high-end processor, which you can be pretty certain that L6 isn't going to spring for.
That is true, however the folks that they hired to do the new Tyler Variax did a really great job with that. The clips I've heard from Ed DeGenero over at RT sound amazing. Of course the playing helps quite a bit too. :D

That's not a bad idea, actually. Given the choice between a $99 "Metal Pack" or $4.99 models that could be purchased individually, I'd rather do the later. I'd rather pick and choose my favorite models from their entire range, and I'd be way more inclined to impulse buy a Blackface Twin for the hell of it than I would the "Classic Rock Pack" just to get a bluesy clean.
*ahem* [drew]It's "latter", not "later".[/drew] :rofl:

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out. Provided the price is good to start with, I wouldn't mind buying model packs, though it'd be nice if they were split into individual models at a couple of bucks a piece. That way you don't have to spring for stuff you don't want.
$399 for the middle HD400, so not too bad.

·
18,790 Posts
I'm actually leaning towards believing that they'll be offering free updates. They already did away with the model packs when they released the X3 series (came stock with everything) and just in the last few months gave away a free bundle of effects with the latest update. I don't know if it's feeling the heat from Fractal or just customer feedback, but they seem to be leaning towards free updates the last year or two.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm actually leaning towards believing that they'll be offering free updates. They already did away with the model packs when they released the X3 series (came stock with everything) and just in the last few months gave away a free bundle of effects with the latest update. I don't know if it's feeling the heat from Fractal or just customer feedback, but they seem to be leaning towards free updates the last year or two.
Perhaps so. But even the "App Store" model of $4.99 models (or somewhere there abouts) is pretty reasonable, so I could then buy:

Bogner Uber
Cornford
Orange AD-30
Mesa Mark IIc+
Vox AC30TB

Which may or may not be entirely different than what you'd buy.

·
18,790 Posts
Perhaps so. But even the "App Store" model of $4.99 models (or somewhere there abouts) is pretty reasonable, so I could then buy:

Bogner Uber
Cornford
Orange AD-30
Mesa Mark IIc+
Vox AC30TB

Which may or may not be entirely different than what you'd buy.
Exactly. Maybe give 4 or 5 models stock (Fender Twin, Vox AC30, Marshall JCM800, Mesa Dual Rect and maybe the Insane model) and then have the rest as easily downloadable add-ons.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
I've actually been happy with TS9 + Spinal Puppet after all these years. I had a PodXT back in the day and now just have a GuitarPort XT w/Pod Farm 1. Haven't tried Pod Farm 2 yet.

If Line 6 made a tube head version with only Spinal Puppet, I'd so own it.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Spinal Puppet was a very good one, indeed. One of the XT sims I used the most.

On a $300 modeler, I don't consider paying extra for model packs to be such a big deal. With the Axe-FX, it's obviously a different story. Part of the value for me in paying so much for it is the ridiculously over-the-top level of service and personal attention that Cliff Chase provides.

·
Head of Agile Gestapo
5,675 Posts
I'm intrigued. If this comes in a rackmount, I'd probably snag one.

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
That demo didn't sound so great. haha. They didn't mention how the sound was captured.

What has me worried is the one guy in the video on the site that claims that the sound on the xt and x3 models were indistinguishable from the real thing and it was just the feel that was off. He must be completely deaf.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That demo didn't sound so great. haha. They didn't mention how the sound was captured.

What has me worried is the one guy in the video on the site that claims that the sound on the xt and x3 models were indistinguishable from the real thing and it was just the feel that was off. He must be completely deaf.
What did you expect him to say, "the XT and X3 sounded like dog shit being slurped through a Slurpee straw"?

Of course not. 90% of their line still uses that technology, and presumably they will continue to sell it for awhile.

That being said, I DID think the POD HD sounded good, especially since it's just a Youtube video (albeit one done by PG).

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Was that list of modeled amps in the video the complete list of sims in the HD??? They modeled a Park 75 but no Mesa Marks? A little odd.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts