Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Ola's a dick. :yesway:

(Is that really just a couple tracks of a Spider IV?, through the stock speaker? Did the Spider series suddenly stop sucvking somewhere between the II, which blew, and the Spider Valve, which at least had a good clean?)

·
Ibanez Freak
280 Posts
I'd bet there was a fair amount of digital trickery involved during mastering.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I've gotten decent tones out of Spider IVs. Not my favorite amp by a long shot, but there are good sounds to be found.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'd bet there was a fair amount of digital trickery involved during mastering.
Sadly, Ola being Ola, this probably really is just the Spider. One million bedroom shredders across the world will cry themselves to sleep tonight. :lol:

(Anyway, I think you mean "mixing")

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
To be fair, it sounds like a spider IV.

I was quite impressed with the one I tried. Its a passable metal practice/bedroom amp. There are better, but its not nearly as dire as its predecessors.

·
Ibanez Freak
280 Posts
Sadly, Ola being Ola, this probably really is just the Spider. One million bedroom shredders across the world will cry themselves to sleep tonight. :lol:

(Anyway, I think you mean "mixing")
Yep--mixing.
It is possible to coax decent tones from that amp with the previously mentioned aspects: mix placement, EQ tweaking, and good playing.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
I hate to break it to you guys but there is no post effects on the guitar tracks whatsoever.

It's not a bad amp, it's just that it's undefined. The part where I play tremolo, I had a hard time even hearing what I played during that section. IF you are to buy a 15 W crappy amp go get the Vypyr 15 instead. Test for that is coming up in a week or two.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I hate to break it to you guys but there is no post effects on the guitar tracks whatsoever.

It's not a bad amp, it's just that it's undefined. The part where I play tremolo, I had a hard time even hearing what I played during that section. IF you are to buy a 15 W crappy amp go get the Vypyr 15 instead. Test for that is coming up in a week or two.
The vypyr is an awesome little amp. Loved my Vypyr 30

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
This is why i love Ola's demos.
It really proves that the amp is only a small part of the overall sound.

The player MAKES the biggest percentage of the overall tone.
So many people place so much emphasis on the amp, when really, a refined player will sound like themselves on just about any amp they play on. After over 25 yrs of playing, i know that i sound like me through any amp i play through. It's just a question of what amp compliments my playing.

·
Guitar noob
2,202 Posts
This is why i love Ola's demos.
It really proves that the amp is only a small part of the overall sound.

So many people place so much emphasis on the amp, when really, a refined player will sound like themselves on just about any amp they play on. After over 25 yrs of playing, i know that i sound like me through any amp i play through. It's just a question of what amp compliments my playing.
<3

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
After over 25 yrs of playing, i know that i sound like me through any amp i play through. It's just a question of what amp compliments my playing.
So much this. I've been playing for 6 years now, and no matter what I play through, it sounds like me. In fact, a notable occasion an amp complimenting, was when I took my Blackstar to MDV's place. He couldn't use it at all, but it worked really well for me.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Perfectly stated.

·
Mod Britannia
7,232 Posts
I concur with Ola. The Spider IV isn't bad, but the Vypyr's are better. That's why I bought the Vypyr instead of the Spider IV.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The Spider IV isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. My nephew has one, and I can get some pretty fun tones out of it. Of course, going back to a decent tube amp erases the Spider, but still, it's far better than what I had as a kid.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The Spider IV isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. My nephew has one, and I can get some pretty fun tones out of it. Of course, going back to a decent tube amp erases the Spider, but still, it's far better than what I had as a kid.
You know, to be fair, even the old Spider a buddy of mine had back in college recorded pretty well. It just felt stiff, sterile, and lifeless.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You know, to be fair, even the old Spider a buddy of mine had back in college recorded pretty well. It just felt stiff, sterile, and lifeless.
Yeah, they don't feel great to play, but if you're careful with the gain, you can get usable sounds from it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts