Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Main Page - Linux Mint

Anyone try this yet? Looks pretty damn slick! :yesway:

Note that if you're installing this in Fusion on a Mac, you might get an error saying "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system.". If you do, here's the fix so that the LiveCD ISO boots:

VMware Fusion 2 Release Notes

Navigate to the Mac folder where the virtual machine is located. The default is your Home folder > Documents > Virtual Machines.
Right click on the Ubuntu 8.10 virtual machine package and select Show Package Contents.
In a text editor open the file named <virtual machine name>.vmx, and add the following lines to the file:

monitor.virtual_exec="hardware"
monitor.virtual_mmu="software"

Save the file.
Power up the Ubuntu virtual machine again.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yup. I ran this off a USB drive on my work laptop after my PC died, before I could afford my iMac. Have you tried live-booting your Mac with it yet? I've only ran it on Fusion myself.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I've used linux mint... its basically ubuntu but a little modified... its decent, but id rather just run ubuntu

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

Elysian said:
I've used linux mint... its basically ubuntu but a little modified... its decent, but id rather just run ubuntu
Me too. I just always end up going back to Ubuntu.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I use Mint, but to be honest, really the only reason I use it over Ubuntu is MintMenu, which allows me to fit everything on one panel instead of two in Ubuntu, which saves a bit of screen space.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I use Mint, but to be honest, really the only reason I use it over Ubuntu is MintMenu, which allows me to fit everything on one panel instead of two in Ubuntu, which saves a bit of screen space.
You can do that anyway just by moving everything to the top bar. There is also a unified menu that you can get hold of, but I'll be buggered if I can remember the name right now.

My Linux usage nowadays is almost all headless/CLI so Linux Mint doesn't do much for me. However it is well put together, so I can see why people would like it.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
You can do that anyway just by moving everything to the top bar. There is also a unified menu that you can get hold of, but I'll be buggered if I can remember the name right now.

My Linux usage nowadays is almost all headless/CLI so Linux Mint doesn't do much for me. However it is well put together, so I can see why people would like it.
Sure, you probably can, but I might as well use a distro that already does it for me. Plus media codecs and such are already installed, so it's basically Ubuntu with a few things pre-configured.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I've used it on PC. It's a decent distro, pretty sick, but I ultimately went back to my main fav when it's new version came out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts