Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Whoever thought these obnoxious circa-1980 camcorder "effects" were a good idea needs a kick in the balls.

Petrucci's rhythm tone is awesome here.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's not Cheesy it cant be from DT Members ;)

At least there is no Labrie. :D

Used to listen to LTE a lot years ago, glad they are back and yes JP Tone is freaking sweet.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
This sounds more interesting than most DT albums lately musically - Petrucci's leads were actually pretty cool, could have done without Rudess' solo though. The latter part of the last sentence applies to pretty much everything Rudess has appeared on. I've also always liked Portnoy's drumming and drum sound.

I'm not sure I could sit through an album of this kind of instrumental music though - add a good singer with interesting vocal lines to give some breaks in the instrument gymnastics, and it would be so much better. I actually think Labrie before he lost all range and power was a pretty good singer, so I much preferred the DT albums up to and including 6DOIT over LTE.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Whoever thought these obnoxious circa-1980 camcorder "effects" were a good idea needs a kick in the balls.

Petrucci's rhythm tone is awesome here.
I think both his rhythm and lead tones are better than they have been in awhile. It's like Vince or Angel finally helped JP dial in his own signature amp.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Meh. Not feeling it. If I wanted to hear Rock Discipline riffs, I'd go practice. There are obvious reasons why but I think they waited too long to write LTE 3.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
If I wanted to hear Rock Discipline riffs, I'd go practice.
This is spot on. I think new fans will like it since it's technically stellar but this gets old for me in a hurry.

Portnoy is in top form though. :metal:

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I am so glad JP got rid of that frigging chorus he had going over everything. That tone was horrid. I just don't know how you go from SFAM mid 2000's live Petrucci tone to whatever ass that was.

James Labrie actually sounds really good on the Distance Over Time live album they just released. Better than he has sounded in years.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
The song was ok overall.

It was just good to hear everyone playing together again, Portnoy sounds 10x better here than he did on Petrucci's solo record. Probably because he actually wrote the parts properly.
And Tony sounds ferocious, but I do agree Petrucci's solos sounded tight.

I'm surprised to hear you guys say that Petrucci's tone here is better because I thought it sounded tremendous on the last record.

Especially on their 7 String Boogie Track:

·
Premium Member
23,421 Posts
I liked that. Goddamn I liked that.

·
I am Groot
32,447 Posts
This sounds more interesting than most DT albums lately musically - Petrucci's leads were actually pretty cool, could have done without Rudess' solo though.
I can ALWAYS do without a Rudess solo. The guy has chops, but he's so boring.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I am so glad JP got rid of that frigging chorus he had going over everything. That tone was horrid. I just don't know how you go from SFAM mid 2000's live Petrucci tone to whatever ass that was.

James Labrie actually sounds really good on the Distance Over Time live album they just released. Better than he has sounded in years.
LaBrie sounds so much better on LTE songs though.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm surprised to hear you guys say that Petrucci's tone here is better because I thought it sounded tremendous on the last record.
I didn't even know that album was out. I lost interest in DT after they went off the rails with too much Rudess and too much Stupid Songwriting.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
I didn't even know that album was out. I lost interest in DT after they went off the rails with too much Rudess and too much Stupid Songwriting.
You should give it at least one listen through. Best Mangini-Era album. He got to do his thing and everybody seemed to step it up a notch.

There's some great riffs and solos on that record. This song is very Awake-Era and I think even Mangini wrote the lyrics and time sig?

Ruddess is waaaayy more tamed on this record.

Instrumentally this song is bonkers and John Myung opens it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts