Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
You should give it at least one listen through. Best Mangini-Era album. He got to do his thing and everybody seemed to step it up a notch.

There's some great riffs and solos on that record. This song is very Awake-Era and I think even Mangini wrote the lyrics and time sig?

Ruddess is waaaayy more tamed on this record.

Instrumentally this song is bonkers and John Myung opens it.
No ragtime breakdowns, no care.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I didn't even know that album was out. I lost interest in DT after they went off the rails with too much Rudess and too much Stupid Songwriting.
The last album is pretty damn good. I say that as a pre-2005 DT fanboy. They let Mangini do his thing for once, wrote the whole record together on a boy's weekend in the woods. It was pretty much like an extended LTE. Best shit they've done since 6DOIT/TOT, IMO. I'm not sure they'll ever top SFAM/Pre-SFAM......maybe once Portnoy comes back.

I'm saying it now- Portnoy will be back in DT within the next 3 years.

Petrucci and Portnoy are just too fucking perfect with each other. Their tones and playing are always in line with each other and sounds so natural, even when they were forcing out shit towards Portnoy's end. I know Portnoy gets a lot of slack, but I can only speak from my personal interactions with the guy and he's always been cool as fuck with me. For some reason, he gets a lot of shit for answering questions in interviews as if he's being too open.....but it's how the dude has been as long as I've known DT. I was on his old AOL e-mail chains when his e-mail address was [email protected], he used to say plenty of inter-band shit back then too, and it was just to us DT geeks in 1996. It always struck me odd that people would say he's trying to draw attention to himself when he was just answering questions honestly and transparently.

I know I'm fanboying out....I don't really care. The only thing cooler than Petrucci/Portnoy playing together would be Vai playing through his Bonger/'97 rig again or Geoff Tate getting all his skills back and re-joining Ryche.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
FYI Tate still has his skills. I saw him live just before covid hit and the show was absolutely fucking awesome. 10/10

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
The last album is pretty damn good. I say that as a pre-2005 DT fanboy. They let Mangini do his thing for once, wrote the whole record together on a boy's weekend in the woods. It was pretty much like an extended LTE. Best shit they've done since 6DOIT/TOT, IMO. I'm not sure they'll ever top SFAM/Pre-SFAM......maybe once Portnoy comes back.

I'm saying it now- Portnoy will be back in DT within the next 3 years.

Petrucci and Portnoy are just too fucking perfect with each other. Their tones and playing are always in line with each other and sounds so natural, even when they were forcing out shit towards Portnoy's end. I know Portnoy gets a lot of slack, but I can only speak from my personal interactions with the guy and he's always been cool as fuck with me. For some reason, he gets a lot of shit for answering questions in interviews as if he's being too open.....but it's how the dude has been as long as I've known DT. I was on his old AOL e-mail chains when his e-mail address was [email protected], he used to say plenty of inter-band shit back then too, and it was just to us DT geeks in 1996. It always struck me odd that people would say he's trying to draw attention to himself when he was just answering questions honestly and transparently.

I know I'm fanboying out....I don't really care. The only thing cooler than Petrucci/Portnoy playing together would be Vai playing through his Bonger/'97 rig again or Geoff Tate getting all his skills back and re-joining Ryche.
Mangini just made a post about finishing up DT15 and it's going to be pretty intense with all the guys. It sounded like it was written like how they did this previous one.

I don't see Mangini leaving ever, honestly. I think the guys get along all too well. However, I could see a reunion with Portnoy. But him and Labrie got to squash their beef first.

I wish Portnoy was in DT still. But I really, really, really love Mangini. Not only is he more than likely the greatest drummer in the world from a technical standpoint but he is a sweetheart too.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
I thought that was pretty good. I probably need a few more listens to get a better impression, since there's a lot going on.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
FYI Tate still has his skills. I saw him live just before covid hit and the show was absolutely fucking awesome. 10/10
This, the Tate Hate was never due to a decline in vocal talent. It was due to a number of other pretentious behaviors.

-The hilariously pretentious videos for his winery with spoken narration.
-The tremendously ill advised Operation Mindcrime II.
-His bizarre belief that people want to hear him play saxophone at Queensryche shows.
-Wearing the vest part of an old timey three piece suit without a shirt with a jazz hat. Perfect for playing saxophone.
-One of the worst cover albums of all time.

Seriously, I bought that cover album. It's so terrible. Like, not a terrible band, every track besides Neon Knights does not suit them at all. This one has aged well though, it's a Queensryche cover of a track most known for being the intro theme of our ex-presidents reality show! :lol:

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I almost skipped the show because of his ultra douche "persona". Glad I didn't - he was cool as hell. Just a humble dude belting it out with his band that seemed to genuinely appreciate the fact that fans showed up to see him play. It was actually the last show I made it to before covid hit.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I almost skipped the show because of his ultra douche "persona". Glad I didn't - he was cool as hell. Just a humble dude belting it out with his band that seemed to genuinely appreciate the fact that fans showed up to see him play. It was actually the last show I made it to before covid hit.
Yeah, I think he wisely went back to the drawing board in the last 2-3 years recently after being mocked for a ton of stuff. There was like a decade long period where the dude could not do anything that wasn't ultra douchey. The whole "destroying a fans phone" thing was a disaster, and the pretentiousness of the winery cannot be over stated. He did a few ego tripping interviews that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

The fondue tour was also really bad. There was this one tour he did on one of his several failed attempts to combine wine tasting and live music where there was no actual music involved and he was just touring with a chocolate fondue fountain and plates of fine cheeses and it was $30 to attend. It wasn't even a tacked on meet and greet cash grab. That was the whole thing. The VIP meat and great stuff in general rubs people the wrong way even when it's attached to music. He had some really excessive cash grabs.

Unfortunately, I just checked his site since Covid hit, it looks like he went back to diva tate. His feud with the rest of the band also heated back up. :lol: He's currently selling a guided tour of the pacific northwest. Yes, really. I just checked.

https://www.backstagepasstravel.com/

I do like "people native of the area" as an exotic description for "dudes from Seattle" though.

Maybe it's a Johnny Depp sort of thing. If you become a successful entertainer, do not buy a winery. Shit will fucking ruin you financially. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
But I really, really, really love Mangini. Not only is he more than likely the greatest drummer in the world from a technical standpoint but he is a sweetheart too.
Mangini is the best drummer that would agree to Dream Theater's terms and conditions. Mangini isn't better than Virgil Donati. Anyways, Thomas Lang talked about the whole DT Drummer audition thing and it's kind of shady what they did. Thomas talks about it around the 9 minute mark here:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Mangini is the best drummer that would agree to Dream Theater's terms and conditions. Mangini isn't better than Virgil Donati. Anyways, Thomas Lang talked about the whole DT Drummer audition thing and it's kind of shady what they did. Thomas talks about it around the 9 minute mark here:

I don't know... I've seen Mangini do everything Virgil can do but not the other way around. If anything, they are probably even. But technically, Mangini can do "more" than Virgil from a limbs standpoint.

Oh that whole thing is hilarious seeing "post-audition." My favorite thing was when Marco said in a interview that they asked what his favorite Dream Theater album was in-person and he said, "I've never listened to any of them."
:lol: I died. I think Donati and Mangini were the guys who really wanted the gig but that was it.

The only other guy who would have been sick to see with DT is Bobby Jarzombek. I bet Portnoy and all of these guys laugh about it outside of it.
Interesting interview with Thomas, thanks for sharing.

·
crying in your beer
3,781 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
It's all show business, in the end.

Any of those drummers could have played the DT repertoire and added something new and interesting. In the end, DT don't want "new and interesting." They want someone who plays within the basic confines of what Petrucci writes. Lang's point about the logistics is also valid. Having a guy who's in the same country and only a few hours' drive away is important for a full-time band.

To me, Minnemann would have been the most interesting choice, just because he has a bigger wackier conception of music and isn't just a drummer. Which is probably why they never would have chosen him.

Man, Rod, what did you do....
That just fuckin' sucks. On the other hand, that type of project never ends up being as awesome as you'd think it would.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
at type of project never ends up being as awesome as you'd think it would.
Honestly, all of these supergroup projects just end up sucking. The biggest loss to that project was that we didn't get another album of guitar work out of Roy Z. That dude is absolutely awesome.

·
Premium Member
23,421 Posts
That album alludes to the existence of more LTE material out there. Must acquire.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts