Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
H'okay, so, this is the earth...wait no. This is not the time for nonsense.

I've ordered much moneys in hardware for my RGT, new tuners, bridge, pups, rings, knobs, and even a flux capacitor. I'm now stuck. I need one last thing, but the info escapes me utterly.

I need to know what kind of locking nut will retrofit my currrent ibanez locking nut. I know the current one is 43mm (1-11/16") but nothing will tell me what the radius of the nut is. My next problem is how they mount. How do I know which ones mount from the top (with wood type screws) or from the back with 2 small hex bolts like the ibanez ones do.

This is the absolute last piece of hardware I'll need, but I'm stumped. I know a few of you guys have bought this kind of thing in the past.

Halp?

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A "Rear Mount" 43mm Gotoh nut will fit Ibanez guitars with no trouble. These have a 16" radius, which is as close as you're going to get to what Ibanez uses. Up until recently these were the OEM nut on MIJ Ibanez, actually. :)
I found a couple sites that are out of stock for black gotoh nuts. These state top vs rear mount, but no one else states this. Even fewer supply their own screws, which only serves to further complicate my search. I checked out allparts.com and they don't even tell you whether they're top mount or rear mount.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter, and the determining factor is what screws you use with it, but I could be wrong, and that could be bad news. Guess I gotta keep digging. Thanks for the tip, though! If all else fails, I'll just have to trailblaze. I'm used to it.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
I found a couple sites that are out of stock for black gotoh nuts. These state top vs rear mount, but no one else states this. Even fewer supply their own screws, which only serves to further complicate my search. I checked out allparts.com and they don't even tell you whether they're top mount or rear mount.

I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter, and the determining factor is what screws you use with it, but I could be wrong, and that could be bad news. Guess I gotta keep digging. Thanks for the tip, though! If all else fails, I'll just have to trailblaze. I'm used to it.
The 2 nuts are definitely different, the "top mount" doesn't have the threads to rear mount it through the neck. :(

If you get desperate, grab a used MIJ RG5xx nut off ebay. I say used, because new ones cost twice what the Gotoh branded ones do, fucking Ibanez. That's what I did on the Xiphos. Since Gotoh is phasing out the straight black, this might be the only option.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2 nuts are definitely different, the "top mount" doesn't have the threads to rear mount it through the neck. :(

If you get desperate, grab a used MIJ RG5xx nut off ebay. I say used, because new ones cost twice what the Gotoh branded ones do, fucking Ibanez. That's what I did on the Xiphos. Since Gotoh is phasing out the straight black, this might be the only option.
Well I found an R43 Ibanez nut on ebay that's about twice what I wanted to pay for one. But I guess it's better than not getting one at all, and having to spray paint my old one, or something equally dildos.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This site is pretty cool because it tells you pretty much everything about the Ibanez you have :yesway:
RGT42DX - Ibanez Wiki
Except the nut width and fretboard radius, which is what this thread is about. Not bad for general info, though. But yes, like I said, I found an actually Ibanez nut on ebay, so this thread can now be left to die.

Thanks for the help, Toshiro!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts