Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wirelessly posted (Wondernuts)

So I plugged up the Torpedo into my 1818vsl and no matter what I do there's a random popping and crackling. I ran the VSL software and there was no popping or crackling in it regardless of setting so I'm left to believe it's logic. I turned the buffer size right up to 512 and its still doing it.

Anyone know of a similar problem? All the Google searches I pull up say to turn the sample buffer up or reset the PRAM, both of which I did and nothing changed.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
Is the crackling and popping still there when you record using a simple line in (just to double check it's not the torpedo?)?

Do you have a lot of ram (I'm guessing VSL is big?). Once I started messing around with a couple of East West Libraries I had to pop more ram in my machine.

Do you have another interface you can try it with? Or even to check if the issue is still there with VSL and the internal soundcard?

You've probably thought of all these anyway...

Edit - Sorry got a bit confused there - thought VSL was Vienna Symphonic Library but on rereading I'm guessing it was actually some software for the soundcard?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

As I stated in the OP, I narrowed it down to Logoc as VSL runs separate to Logic and uses the internal processing of the presonus. When I run the VSL software or another DAW like Studio One there is no popping, only in logic. I'm running 8gb of ram until my Retina iMac arrives in 2 weeks which has 32gb and I've got an SSD so I shouldn't have too much in the way of bottlenecks.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

VSL is a virtual mixer that runs in the 1818VSL so negates the need for a DAW for sound testing or creating virtual mixes.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
Not that it necessarily helps fix the problem, but the inevitable questions:

What version of MacOS are you running?
What version of Logic?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

OSX Mavericks and Logic X. Specific version I'll have to pop over to my computer and check.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
It shouldn't make any difference (but these things are often more magic than science) but have you tried removing all other USB devices and then trying the other USB ports.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had crackling when there's been a mismatch between sample rates. Might be worth checking everything is running on the same sample rates ie; 16 bit 44.1 etc??

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The VB101 is running at internal clock as its outputting analogue only til I get some 75 ohm SPDIF connectors so it's not that. The 1818VSL is running on its internal clock and is set automatically to the project settings which I'm running 44.1khz at 16 bit to save processing power.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
Have you tried turning it upside down? It might not be designed to work in the southern hemisphere.....

·
Read Only
3 Posts

The VB101 is running at internal clock as its outputting analogue only til I get some 75 ohm SPDIF connectors so it's not that. The 1818VSL is running on its internal clock and is set automatically to the project settings which I'm running 44.1khz at 16 bit to save processing power.
You need to clock both from the same source. Both running on their own clocks will cause pops and clicks.

Edit: I see you're using analog cables, so that shouldn't be it either...

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Keep increasing the sample size untill it goes away. If you are using VSL as a live monitoring system (for the inputs) then you can set the sample buffer size really high, so try 1024 or 2048. Sample buffer size only matters if you are using the DAW to monitor what you are recording (which i wouldn't do anyway because of latency)

Otherwise I have had problems with that in logic, sometimes it works out to play around with the settings in logic itsself. However it's been a while since i had logic seeing as i refuse to be raped by the amount apple charges for hardware

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I cranked the sample rate up to 2048 and it was still doing it. It's most annoying as it didn't do this 2 months ago and when I turn on the usage monitor, I'm using less than 20% of my processr bandwidth and about 1/3 of my physical ram. Might do a reformat and upgrade to Yosemite and see what the end result is.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
Might do a reformat and upgrade to Yosemite and see what the end result is.
Good luck!

I had a few problems with Logic popping and they went away when I reinstalled... but then since I'm running it on an HP Probook I don't really suppose I have much grounds for complaint!

(notably it also showed really small amounts of CPU and HDD usage whilst the problems were occurring).

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

It's good with its low resource use and like I said, never had this issue before. Thankfully I have a new Mac arriving soon but there's been delays with the processing of the order (waiting on our friend who works at apple so he can give a 15% discount). I'm almost half tempted to get a protools hd native thunderbolt as i originally learned on Protools HD.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Nope, still doing it. I've figured out how to get some use out of it before it does it. Gotta reset the PRAM every time I wanna use it. Then I get about 30 minutes before it happens.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts

Nope, still doing it. I've figured out how to get some use out of it before it does it. Gotta reset the PRAM every time I wanna use it. Then I get about 30 minutes before it happens.
God, that must be totally frustrating.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

astrocreep said:

God, that must be totally frustrating.
You have no idea. It's almost painful having these annoying random pops when you start hitting the groove.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts