Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of nights ago I restrung my Yamaha 26.25" 6er with 10-52 gauge strings, tuned it up to D standard (from the original Bb) and took the action right down. I knew it would be pretty cool, as it's a great guitar, but it's really blown me away quite how well it's worked. I was able to get the action insanely low with pretty much zero buzz along the neck, and this particular scale length suits the tuning perfectly. It sounds really punchy in the low end, but the high notes still really sing.

Has anyone else tried a setup like this?

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
A couple of nights ago I restrung my Yamaha 26.25" 6er with 10-52 gauge strings, tuned it up to D standard (from the original Bb) and took the action right down. I knew it would be pretty cool, as it's a great guitar, but it's really blown me away quite how well it's worked. I was able to get the action insanely low with pretty much zero buzz along the neck, and this particular scale length suits the tuning perfectly. It sounds really punchy in the low end, but the high notes still really sing.

Has anyone else tried a setup like this?
The low action you were able to achive doesn't really come as a surprise, especially as far as the low D was concerned - 52 is pretty hefty.

Generally speaking, longer scales tend to sound "punchier," at the expense of a little warmth. Personally, low B sounds too muddy,(EDIT: on a 25.5" scale) which is why I have ETGuitars are making me a 28" conversion neck. Combine that with an ash body and BK Miracle Man, and I think I'll have a pretty sweet axe. :)

BTW, what Yamaha model is it...?

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The low action you were able to achive doesn't really come as a surprise, especially as far as the low D was concerned - 52 is pretty hefty.

Generally speaking, longer scales tend to sound "punchier," at the expense of a little warmth. Personally, low B sounds too muddy,(EDIT: on a 25.5" scale) which is why I have ETGuitars are making me a 28" conversion neck. Combine that with an ash body and BK Miracle Man, and I think I'll have a pretty sweet axe. :)

BTW, what Yamaha model is it...?
The old RGX-420 D6.:) They only produced them for a short while, which is a shame, as they were great guitars. They had a really unique five-way switching system for two humbuckers:

1: Neck Humbucker.
2: Neck Humbucker wired in parallel.
3: Both Humbuckers.
4: Both Humbuckers split into singles.
5: Bridge Humbucker.

A stupidly versatile arrangement!:) I swear, I'd have been all over a seven-string version of this guitar!

You're right about the warmth comment. That's why I think the 26.25" scale is a nice compromise for this sort of range.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
That's Ibanez' switching for 2 humbuckers with a five way. :D

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
You're right about the warmth comment. That's why I think the 26.25" scale is a nice compromise for this sort of range.
I have a feeling that this custom I'm having built will be somewhat ice-picky and sharp, but I'm willing to sacrifice warmth for clarity one this one, especially considering that I'll be playing Meshuggan riffs/solos on it. I have my 24.75" ES335 for warmth when I need it. :)

Oh, and those DO look like nice guitars. :agreed:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a feeling that this custom I'm having built will be somewhat ice-picky and sharp, but I'm willing to sacrifice warmth for clarity one this one, especially considering that I'll be playing Meshuggan riffs/solos on it. I have my 24.75" ES335 for warmth when I need it. :)

Oh, and those DO look like nice guitars. :agreed:
This is exactly why I have multiple guitars with different PUs/scale lengths etc.:)

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
i tried putting my jackson (strung with .13-.59s, 25.5" scale, normally in drop A/drop G) in E standard standard yesterday and it sounded incredible. the low end was just so tight and controlled, and the higher notes just rang like bells.
i know this doesn't have much to do with longer scale lengths, but the increased string tension in great.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
i tried putting my jackson (strung with .13-.59s, 25.5" scale, normally in drop A/drop G) in E standard standard yesterday and it sounded incredible. the low end was just so tight and controlled, and the higher notes just rang like bells.
i know this doesn't have much to do with longer scale lengths, but the increased string tension in great.
The tightening up is hardly surprising, considering you've jumped up 7 semi-tones. :lol:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Soloway guitars are all 27" scale lengths and Jim Soloway insists they are not baritones and are designed to used in standard tuning.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soloway guitars are all 27" scale lengths and Jim Soloway insists they are not baritones and are designed to used in standard tuning.
I think I've got the issue of Guitar Player where they reviewed those sitting around somewhere...

·
Registered
702 Posts
i've been thinking about doing this with my strat when i get the money to have roter make me a baritone neck for it. something like C standard or so on a 30" scale :p

·
Registered
702 Posts
it's a 3 single coil strat with a Wilkinson Vintage trem. it's from a tiny brand called "vintage", who makes pretty damn nice guitars with all-wilkinson hardware and pickups. the one i have is made from poplar :p

i love the guitar, except the neck is a bit crap. hence me using it as an excuse to get a new one made haha :p

it's also getting refinished and stuff.

and nope, still no word.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
that vintage shit is pretty cool. the relicing and paint jobs are AWFUL :lol: (they paint tan paint on top for the worn bits :lol:) , but theyre pretty solid playing and soundwise for the cash.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Awww yeah. I have a Vintage acoustic, and it absolutely slays. In some guitar magazine or other, it won "best acoustic < £1000." The price? 80 quid. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts