Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got another guitar mod project in the works. I have a 7421 body lying around from an older project, and have a bid on a 7620 neck at the moment. Should I win that bid, I'll pull the trigger on an OFR7 trem, new PUPs and all the necessary hardware to get shit going.

Like the title says, I'm looking to get a singlecoil-like tone from the neck PU. Since I'm using a 7421 body, I'm kinda stuck having to slap a humbucker in there. However, I'm rocking a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell in the neck position of one of my 6ers and it sounds fabulous. I'm looking for a similar tone, just in a 7 string format.

Any suggestions? I'm open to all brands, although I prefer passive rather than active pickups. As for tone, I need something clear and lean, with plenty of hi end sparkle.

Muchas gracias!

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The SD Jazz sounds pretty phenomenal in split and parallel modes.

You could also have Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars build you anything you want. He could do one coil like a Strat-type single and the other like a P-90 if you wanted. Then go nuts with the switching options!

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
or you can just get a P90 in a 7-string humbucker sized case, like Eric has.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
i'm a huge fan of the Humbucker From Hell in my sixers as well :agreed:.

although MUCH higher output, i've found the D Activator 7 neck model can get pretty damn close to that tone if you work with it a little.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Also, I have found that the Liquifire neck pickup in parallel mode sounds absolutely gorgeous. Has that glassy sound with a good amount of snap :yesway:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I have found that the Liquifire neck pickup in parallel mode sounds absolutely gorgeous. Has that glassy sound with a good amount of snap :yesway:
Interesting. I always sway towards DiMarzio, although I never gave these any thought. That said, I should have noted that I need hum canceling, so the suggestions about wiring in parallel are what I will end up doing. Probably a push/pull pot to switch series/parallel.

Thanks for the Vintage Vibe link. Money isn't really an issue, but going the custom route tends to get pricey. I'm trying to keep this project under $1k. So far I have everything priced out at $700, so I have room to play with. We'll see.

I may give the Liquifire a shot in the neck position. I'm leaning towards a TZ7 (gasp! horror!) in the bridge. Not that it really matters, but the guitar will have a uniform aesthetic using the same brand PUs.

I have an Evo7 in my RGA7, and while it sounds decent with my Triple Recto, it just doesn't jive with my Mark 5. Too scooped and bright. I think the TZ7 will give some nice roundedness I'm looking for. And while that aren't the same PUs, I have a TZ6 in my 6er and it fucking kicks ass with my Mark 5. Nice and tight and smooth as silk. Perfect for rhythm and leads alike. But I digress... :D

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Come over and try my 7620 w/Cold Sweats. To be honest, I think what you WANT is a "mid-scooped" sound to cop the hi-fi single-coil tone. I think I more or less have it. Next step is to try splitting the coils. Since they're asymetrically wound, I suspect that one or the other coil is going to sound very nice.

Also, an Evo7 is not what I'd call scooped. :lol:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Email Pete at Vintage Vibe with a description of what you want. You may ind that his prices are much more reasonable than you think.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Come over and try my 7620 w/Cold Sweats. To be honest, I think what you WANT is a "mid-scooped" sound to cop the hi-fi single-coil tone. I think I more or less have it. Next step is to try splitting the coils. Since they're asymetrically wound, I suspect that one or the other coil is going to sound very nice.

Also, an Evo7 is not what I'd call scooped. :lol:
Thanks for the offer bro. As far as scooped tone, my original question was for neck PU's, but in my above post you're refering to I was talking about the bridge position. But yea, the tone I'm looking for in the neck PU is that scooped, hollow, bright, Strat tone.

Coil splitting isn't my cup of tea. I need humcanceling, so it's parallel wiring for me.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
If you can take EMGs all the single coil portions of the dual mode models fucking kill. IMHO it doesn't get nicer than the EMG S/SA for cleans.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Thanks for the offer bro. As far as scooped tone, my original question was for neck PU's, but in my above post you're refering to I was talking about the bridge position. But yea, the tone I'm looking for in the neck PU is that scooped, hollow, bright, Strat tone.

Coil splitting isn't my cup of tea. I need humcanceling, so it's parallel wiring for me.
Gotcha. Check out the first two sounds here, neck and then neck+bridge in parallel.

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk.../contemporary/cold_sweat/cold_sweat-clean.mp3

I live in Malvern. PM me sometime when you're free. We'll meet up. :metal:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts