Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided to cool off on buying amps for a while.

I have sold my Triple rectifier leaving me with a modded marshall JTM45/100 it has a master volume, friedman FAT switch, and effects loop.

I see videos all the time demonstrating pedals but my question is what do you set the head at? What's a "clean" setting that is complementary with pedals?

I am not going for any particular tone but looking at this as just experimenting.

Pedals that I have are: OCD, Blues Driver, Maxon OD808, Archer Ikon, Soul Food, DS-1, 5150 OD.

Bonus points I also have a fuzz face and pharaoh/

Basically, I've found myself watching That Pedal Show and inspired.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Preamp on 1 and master to taste. It's the preamp that will mostly determine if your amp is clean or not. My OCD is my dirty tone.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'd say for any sound device more high end will make things at least appear distorted sooner. Mine is on 2, but again adjust your EQ to taste.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Depends on how clean a tone you need, I dont use a clean clean sound at all so I ran mine slightly hotter than Budda said then made it supped up with the pedal... dirty then lead style but otherwise just like Budda said. The OCD is a great pedal too.:agreed:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I say just crank the fuck outta that thing, no OD or Distortion needed.Just go for that classic clean sounding Marshall crunch, which will turn your head when the volume's past, say 2 'o'clock ..... trust me

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
These questions aren't really something that can be answered. It's all taste and what you prefer. I would start neutral and go from there. Set all EQ to noon and start playing and tweaking until you hit the sweet spot. Every tube amp has a sweet spot, and that sweet spot differs for each tone you are after.

I always recommend never asking these type questions honestly because you are probably limiting your tone/amp by adhering to someone else's experiences/advice. Spend the time to get to know your amp and get every inch out of it, you will be much happier in the end and probably learn a lot along the way. Good luck and have fun, I mean it is the most fun part of gear....tinkering with it.:metal:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Start with your palm flat on the top of the the leftmost knob. Move your hand straight across to the right.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
Start with your palm flat on the top of the the leftmost knob. Move your hand straight across to the right.
^^^^ :lol: :agreed:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These questions aren't really something that can be answered. It's all taste and what you prefer. I would start neutral and go from there. Set all EQ to noon and start playing and tweaking until you hit the sweet spot. Every tube amp has a sweet spot, and that sweet spot differs for each tone you are after.

I always recommend never asking these type questions honestly because you are probably limiting your tone/amp by adhering to someone else's experiences/advice. Spend the time to get to know your amp and get every inch out of it, you will be much happier in the end and probably learn a lot along the way. Good luck and have fun, I mean it is the most fun part of gear....tinkering with it.:metal:
Thanks.

Even basic info like what you started with is helpful.

I had a really positive experience with the pointers people gave me for the triple rec which is why I came back.

Noodles has a good point. Dimed across the board is pretty sweet but part of my motivation is that I want to better understand my gear. In other words learn to use it with finesse rather than treating it like a meat cleaver when it could also be a scalpel.

I watch videos of guys trying out amps and pedals and they get diverse/usable tones. If you said to me dial up a rock, country, blues, metal tone my answer can't be 10s for all of them can they? :D

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
So long as you have the pre down around 2 you'll have a clean tone - and the EQ isn't drastic one way or another. My bass, mid and treble knobs are all close to noon on either side of the dial.

It's the volume that's gonna help out. If you can get the master up, get the master up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts