Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to switch out the pickups from actives to passive in one of my charvels. The old set up before I put blackouts in it was jb/jazz. Not really sure what to look in for passive pickups that aren't specifically designed for metal.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Not really sure what to look in for passive pickups that aren't specifically designed for metal.
FWIW, I used to keep going back and forth between 'high output' and 'medium/low output' pickups. High output are nice for obviously bringing teh br00tz but they also seem to shine even on a not-so-great amp and they're also good if you're doing any leads with the bridge pickup or single note rhythms but they tend to overdrive a clean amp; the low/medium pickups leave you more at the mercy of the amp you're using but the BIGGEST perk is how much better they clean up.

These days I basically have 'metal guitars' which usually have a Dimarzio Tone Zone bridge, Air Norton neck or Seymour Duncan Distortion bridge and 'everything else' guitars which have either a 59/59, 59/Jazz or Dimarzio PAF 36th/PAF 36th combo. The hottest 'not high gain' pickup I've used that still had kept the clean channel sounding clean was the Dimarzio PAF Pro; I'm not sure what the Seymour Duncan equivalent would be. Some food for thought.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I've got a bunch of my Arrows (vintage) and Javelins (slightly higher output vintage) in stock, if you were interested in trying something out.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What did you like or dislike about the JB/Jazz? Might make a good baseline.
Back then it just wasnt the best tone for death metal. Literally weren't heavy enough for the music I was playing and now I play more well rounded stuff that 99% of which doesn't need much gain at all.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Do you have any samples of them in action?
You need direct comparisons to other pickups or even better DIs to really hear them through your own rig.

Why??
Look here. Both are Les Pauls with Dimarzio Super Distortion

You cannot really hear a pickups characteristics through a isolated non-comparing demo video.

The amp, cab and mic placement makes so much of the tonal result.

I've recorded songs where most of the song might be an Evertune guitar with EMG 81 and then I do a small part with another guitar with Floyd and passive Dimarzio and you wouldn't notice if you didn't know. It doesn't sound the same, but it's not worls apart either because thats not how guitars tone work.

It's nice to be picky about pickups, but that doesn't mean they make so much of the tone that you can really hear how it will sound with YOUR rig by listening to another guys rig.

Again, you need real comparisons, or in best case DIs of the pickup you can run through your own rig.

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Back then it just wasnt the best tone for death metal. Literally weren't heavy enough for the music I was playing and now I play more well rounded stuff that 99% of which doesn't need much gain at all.
Well, damn. :lol:

If it was me, I'd go Dimarzio AT1 in the bridge and a 36th anniversary PAF (bridge model) in the neck. This is sorta similar to the stocks, though. :lol:

Really a good set of PAF styles, with a slightly hotter bridge pickup, will cover a lot of ground.

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, damn. :lol:

If it was me, I'd go Dimarzio AT1 in the bridge and a 36th anniversary PAF (bridge model) in the neck. This is sorta similar to the stocks, though. :lol:

Really a good set of PAF styles, with a slightly hotter bridge pickup, will cover a lot of ground.
ill look to see what they have at the zmusic store near me. I've had them do a repair before and it was dirt cheap compared to other places ive been to

1 - 12 of 12 Posts