Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, thought I'd pick your collective brains of this one.

One of the strap pins on my RG470 has drilled out and is now loose in it's hole and won't tighten. It's still attached to the guitar, but I don't trust it to hold the weight of the guitar without tearing out.
I was thinking that milliput (or something similar) might be the solution, but wanted to get some more opinions first. I don't currently have access to a workshop, and the pin is the one on the upper horn, so cutting out and replacing wood is not an option.

Cheers, Unsane

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've done it with matchsticks (take the ends off though :lol: ) and wood glue before, seemed to work a treat.
^ This.

...matchsticks / toothpicks / cocktail sausage skewers... I'd be inclined to screw it back in while the wood glue is still wet, and it's worked very well for me on a loose neck screw.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Matchsticks with a dab of wood glue is the tried and true method. Fill the hole with one or two, let the glue dry, the just screw the button back in. Don't redrill it. The matchstick will compress.

·
Special Measures
70 Posts
This happened to my RG470 back when I was 16 or so. My step dad fixed it with match sticks and miliput. No more problems for nearly 20 years now. :yesway:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Another vote for the matchstick/cocktail stick method here. I usually use 5min epoxy rather than wood glue, but that's only because I'm lazy and the epoxy is in the house while the wood glue means going out to the garage.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Even regular white glue from a kid's art set will work :yesway:

Or, you can upgrade to giant screws :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Yeah, another vote for matchsticks or toothpicks, and wood glue. I did this to one of the claw screws in my PWH back, god, more than 10 years ago, and it's held up like a champ since then, and you can IMAGINE how much strain those things take. :lol:

You can either trim it to length before you put it in, or glue it in and then cut it down to length with a really sharp knife when you're done. The latter method is a bit tricky, but has the advantage of making it a lot easier to position the glue-covered stick in the first place - I've done both.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Yeah, another vote for matchsticks or toothpicks, and wood glue. I did this to one of the claw screws in my PWH back, god, more than 10 years ago, and it's held up like a champ since then, and you can IMAGINE how much strain those things take. :lol:

You can either trim it to length before you put it in, or glue it in and then cut it down to length with a really sharp knife when you're done. The latter method is a bit tricky, but has the advantage of making it a lot easier to position the glue-covered stick in the first place - I've done both.
A way to measure and cut before inserting the match is to use a toothpick to measure the depth of the screw hole.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
A way to measure and cut before inserting the match is to use a toothpick to measure the depth of the screw hole.
Or, even more directly, stick the toothpick in the hole, mark it at the point it's flush with a pen, and cut it there, then slather it with glue and stick it back in. :lol: The only tricky part is then you're sticking a toothpick that's exactly the depth of the hole into the hole, that's been entirely covered with glue, which is pretty messy. I think it's a little easier to do the same thing, mark it at the point where it's flush, then apply glue to there, use the rest of the tooth pick as a "handle" to position it, let it dry, and THEN trim it to size, but neither is really perfect.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
Or, even more directly, stick the toothpick in the hole, mark it at the point it's flush with a pen, and cut it there, then slather it with glue and stick it back in. :lol: The only tricky part is then you're sticking a toothpick that's exactly the depth of the hole into the hole, that's been entirely covered with glue, which is pretty messy. I think it's a little easier to do the same thing, mark it at the point where it's flush, then apply glue to there, use the rest of the tooth pick as a "handle" to position it, let it dry, and THEN trim it to size, but neither is really perfect.
Don't get all logical and efficient with me, mister. :lol:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
+ 1 toothpicks + glue. I foresee doing this to a couple of guitars before 2016.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Have you heard of disposable gloves? ;)

·
Banned
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the replies guys!
I hadn't thought of trying matchsticks, but as everyone recommends it I'll go with that method (living somewhere where we get about 3 power cuts a month also means that there is no shortage of matchsticks to hand!). While I had considered Leon's suggestion of upgrading to giant screws it's not the original pins, but a set of Schaeller strap-locks and the screws in there at the moment are already worryingly large.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
I've done it with matchsticks (take the ends off though :lol: ) and wood glue before, seemed to work a treat.
Yep, this. some wood glue and matchsticks or toothpicks, don't actually really need the glue, but a nice to do. stuff matchstick of correct length into hole with glue on it. You may need a second one depending on how ad it is, then just screw the strap pin back in, leave to set

·
Arrr, Matey!
1,798 Posts
Used toothpicks and glue on my Gibson R8 LP... worked like a charm! :yesway:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts