Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jigsaw?
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend a mine brought this over. She wanted me to look at some problematic intonation screws. The problem was she needed a different allen wrench. Easy restring right? Nope.



Reverse headstock :metal:


So I'm getting ready to put the strings on and look what I found. Both trem bushings have paper wedged in to keep them in place.









I know the best way to fix this is to plug and redrill. But her budget to fix this is basically zero and the last thing she needs right now is more bad news. I have no interest in making this guitar a crash test dummy while learning to plug and redrill. So my question is two fold.

1) Have any of you tried epoxy, wood glue, toothpicks etc to fix this? If so how did it go? I need some suggestions on how to fix this cheaply.

2) The studs themselves are extremely loose in the bushings. Are locking studs an option for this trem?
 

·
\m/ \m/
Joined
·
5,983 Posts
If the inserts fit not bad I couldn't see why putting some epoxy in the hole and installing the inserts wouldn't work.
 
  • Like
Reactions: fathead

·
Jigsaw?
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only thing that worried me about epoxy was it going south and winding up with even more wood missing than there is now. Holes are a little oval shaped.
 

·
\m/ \m/
Joined
·
5,983 Posts
I don't know if you have to many options here other then filling and re drilling, maybe wood glue not sure.

Maybe you could just use a wood filler instead of epoxy. :shrug:
 

·
Jigsaw?
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was secretly hoping someone had a special MacGyveresque mix of powdered gravy and silly putty that would solve all my problems with a swiftness and surety only witnessed at the As Seen on Television store. Should probably let the hangover pass before I bust out the epoxy.
 

·
\m/ \m/
Joined
·
5,983 Posts
I was secretly hoping someone had a special MacGyveresque mix of powdered gravy and silly putty that would solve all my problems with a swiftness and surety only witnessed at the As Seen on Television store. Should probably let the hangover pass before I bust out the epoxy.
:rofl: Yes you should, you will win.:yesway:
 

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
Joined
·
7,276 Posts
Drilling them out, installing hardwood dowels and redrilling really isn't that much of a job. You need a pillar drill and some wood glue, basically.

If you've not got a pillar drill, then a pistol drill and someone to spot you (to make sure you drill straight down) and you're all set.

Epoxy is not necessary. Wood glue will be fine.
 

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
Joined
·
14,796 Posts
There's only one way to fix this: The right way.

Epoxy or JB Weld will only be a temporary fix and will make even more of a mess when the inserts oval the holes again and need to be removed. With adhesive on them, they'll rip out even more wood, and they'll need to be replaced.

Plug and re-drill. Preferably with proper cut plugs rather than dowels, which would have you drilling into endgrain, which isn't optimal for strength.

And Stitch, I'm assuming that a "pillar drill" is some janky English/Scottish term for "drill press"? ;)
 

·
Jigsaw?
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The old engine shop has turned into storage for the pool store so getting at the drill press and Bridgeport isn't as easy as it used to be. And honestly, I'm good with metal, but for some reason I suck at woodworking. I'll talk it over with her and see what she wants to do. Thanks for the input guys, I do appreciate it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
If the inserts fit not bad I couldn't see why putting some epoxy in the hole and installing the inserts wouldn't work.
I don't know if you have to many options here other then filling and re drilling, maybe wood glue not sure.

Maybe you could just use a wood filler instead of epoxy. :shrug:
I've done this before. For filling trem bushings, I'd say epoxy for metal and wood glue for wood. Wood glue on metal just sucks.
 

·
Jigsaw?
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She wasn't interested in having me put it in the drill press. Darren confirmed that epoxy could make a bigger mess later. So I came up with temporary fix. I used some strips of metal duct tape. Put a small strip on the front and back of the bushing and then a few more strips on the front to take up some space where the wood was most damaged. Make sure to extend the tape over the bottom bevel so the tape doesn't just roll up. Pressed it in by hand and I can't pull it back out. I'll tell her not to use the bar until it fixed correctly. No wobble in the bushing now and it feels solid.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
do this:



I used a 1mm maple veneer and titebond. Although this fix was on a tuneomatic, I see no reason why it shouldn't work with floyd's pivôs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
I tried wood glue..just wouldn't hold. Got to a certain point and one or the other would pop out. I tried alot of different things. I build models during the winter so I have tons of glues. I tried a 5 min epoxy, and that did work. I spread Vaseline on the post and screwed it into the busing to make sure none of the epoxy seeped into the inner thread.. I didn't use alot of epoxy. Just along the bottom of the bushing, then a little at the bottom on the hole itself around the edge. Since there's a bit of space between the bottom of the post and bushing, I added a little more Vaseline in there, then another drop of epoxy. Slide the whole thing in there and let it dry for a whole day, just to be safe. I didn't use a hell of a lot of epoxy, I'm confident If that whole thing needs to come out, they'll come out without too much effort.

For the last week I've been trying to set my Floyd Rose up properly, and they haven't popped out yet.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top