Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, last night I jammed with a band for the first time in a dozen years. Best time I've had in a long time. PA was cranking and the solo rectifier i was borrowing was maxed out. My ears are squashed right now and I'm going back for more on a weekly basis. Way long ago I had some ear plugs that cut out the high frequencies, I think, so The volume was reduced, but They still had clarity. Does anyone have recommendations on ear plugs that work well? Am I the only pansy-ass looking to even use them? Thanks :metal:

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

Hearos make a variety of earplugs for musicians in different styles and price ranges, and they're all good. All earplugs take some getting used to, but as you know, they're totally worth having to get used to things sounding a little different.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for chiming in and joining the ringing in my ears. I will order a set of those ER20's. They look way better than the pugs I used to use. Great reviews on them across the board. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Thanks for chiming in and joining the ringing in my ears. I will order a set of those ER20's. They look way better than the pugs I used to use. Great reviews on them across the board. Thanks!
I've got a pair of those (two, actually), and they're great. I understand the Hearos are basically the same thing, just branded differently so they;'re probably excellent too.

Also, turn down! :lol: Seriously, there's no reason to even GIG loud enough to need a Solo 50 cranked all the way up. :lol:

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
I second the er20s.. And turning down!

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
The Etymotics that were linked to earlier is all I ever use. I find them comfortable, and they don't dull out the highs as much as other earplugs in that price range (or cheaper) in my experience.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Er20 on order for delivery soon. 13.99 free shipping

Hopefully my ears won't ring this much next week. Sure as hell loved that solo rectifier. The clean was a bit raunchy and fun.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I went the whole hog and got some custom moulded plugs done 10/11 years back. Expensive as hell (think they were £160/pair and I got two pairs), but the best ear plugs I've ever used. They've got a removable flat response filter to kill the frequencies equally across the range, and I'm using the 25dB filters which were the biggest volume drop. Obviously you'd need to investigate somewhere local to you if you wanted to go that route, but they're miles more comfortable that any of the "xmas tree" style plugs I've used.

One thing I will say is you will always get an increase in bass frequencies in what you hear when using plugs, as the bass travels through your body to your ears as well.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've shelled out for musicians moulded ear plugs $200-250 .... But in all honesty I like swimmers rubber ear plugs just as well for $8 at the local drug store! Drum companies like Vator also have a similar product but usually at $20-30. The key thing is rubber not foam!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts