Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use active emg's and when I'm home my amp don't hum, but when I go to practice. it makes the most horrid humming noise. I can even almost hear it while I'm playing. I don't know if my pickups are grounded correctly or his house might have bad wiring.

I was also wondering, if a direct tv satellite dish could be interfering with my pickups. I'm going to try a noise suppressor, but because the hum don't stop while I'm playing! I'm completely lost.

has any one here had the same problem? if so? I could use the help.

ps my gramour sucks so bare with me thanx.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
It's unlikely to be earthing issues as EMG's do not require earthing, and are super-quiet pickups.

Do you use the same cables at practice? Do you use any pedals, and if so, how do you power them?

My bet is bad wiring at your practice space. :yesway:

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
This. If the exact same setup is quiet at home, but noisy in another place, it's the building's wiring. Do you have someone that has something you can borrow like a furman or monster rackmount power thing which filters out noises from electricity just to test?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Tough to say - I had the same issue at an old apartment, where no matter what I did my amps would hum. It wasn't SUPER loud, but we're talking the equivalent of 60-cycle hum from humbuckers, that would go away whenever I plugged in somewhere else.

Part of it had to do with dimmer switches on lights- for some reason these seem to add a lot of noise. That said, I eventually just moved. :D

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
It depends. You need to ascertain what is causing the noise first. A noise suppresor will help if it's your guitar, but so will rewiring.

If it's your cables, new cables will fix it. If it's your pedal power supply then a different supply will sort it. If it's the power in the building then a power conditioner will sort it. You kind of need to answer my questions above for me to help you. :lol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's unlikely to be earthing issues as EMG's do not require earthing, and are super-quiet pickups.

Do you use the same cables at practice? Do you use any pedals, and if so, how do you power them?

I tried different cables. I plugged directly in the amp with no effects, only amp distortion. and when I turn my power knop up, the hum is so loud that it is unbearable. now im starting to think its the house wiring.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Yeah, sounds like the wiring in your practice space.

Look at power conditioners from Furman and the like. :yesway:
Definitely. I had this problem with my ENGL Powerball and a Furman fixed it right up. Just don't get the cheapest one, as it doen't have AC line filtering. The lesser M-8 series are a little more than surge protectors. The PL-8 Series and above have the AC line filtering.:yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Part of it had to do with dimmer switches on lights- for some reason these seem to add a lot of noise. That said, I eventually just moved. :D
If the dimmer switch is on the same circuit, that'd definitely do it.

Otherwise, loud humming could mean that Drew's mom and I are hiding behind your amp. Pay no mind, we'll leave soon.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I replaced the cord and it still makes that obnoxious noise. it stops when I turn my guitar volume down. then I loose all my gain. I can't do squeals and lose all my sustain. this is driving me nuts.

actually its like a loud buzzing. you can sort of still hear it while I'm playing. :scream:

I guess I need to try the power conditioner and a noise suppressor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts