1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Man, IMH(very snotty)O Martin rarely makes a guitar worth a damn under 2k anymore, theyre always so stiff and lacking in headroom. Try and score a used martin. If you can up your budget more towards 1k, you can get a pretty nice fucking guitar used from martin or gibson or taylor. I mean, what kind of sound do you want. Old ratty radio awesome sooper woodsy tone? martin. Bright crisp modern? taylor. Want something thats actually kinda chunky and amazing at rythm? try and find a used Gibbo J45. Just, if at all possible, try and score a USED martin, especially if its a cheaper one, as it will have at least broken in a bit.

The one you posted is one of the better models they offer honestly, so if you DO wanna go new, in that price range, id go for that or a taylor 210ce, your call depending on what kind of sound you want. Honestly, thats a price range for acoustics that its either worth finding something just as nice for a lot less (seagull/art and lutherie), or saving a bit more (like i said, shoot for $1k) and going used to get a LOT more guitar for a few hundred more

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Fuck dude, don't go near the fucking X-series.

Yeah, the story behind them is nice, and they smell pretty, but they sound flat and lifeless and are made from things that shouldn't be in guitars.

The neck is made up of splices of offcuts from other Martin instruments - I can tell you the story if anyone cares.

Anyway, the neck is a high pressure laminate, the back and sides have more in common with formica worktops than tonewoods - thin HPL again. The top is the only 'real' tonewood, and even then it's badly braced and doesn't sound freely or right.

If none of that is enough, underneath the bridge is an aluminium plate because Martin found that without the guitar just wasn't resonating loud enough.

It's a cheap heap of wobbly shit. You want a cheap acoustic that isn't awful go for a Taylor 11x (110, 114, 118, whatever) or look at Seagull and Cort acoustics.

You can also snag Japanese Takamine's for that sort of money second hand, and they'll beat the everlasting shit out of any acoustic up $2k.

Steer clear of the X-series.

·
18,790 Posts
While I can't really justify a high end Martin or Taylor, I do need a new acoustic as it's been a few hours since I bought anything.
Fixed :yesway:

I'll second the recommendation to take a look at Seagull guitars, too :yesway: I don't know much about Martins, unfortunately, but I'd put my Seagull up against a Taylor at a few hundred more any day (though, I'm not sure how the Canadian prices compare to the US prices, since we're talking about guitars built in Canada from Canadian materials :lol: ).

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Seagull's will be the best of the bunch here I reckon. Nice Martin's really only begin around the 000-15R and even then it's a fingerpicking, warm acoustic with no upper fret access that you wouldn't like, I feel. Taylors are nice but I think they only get interesting after the 5-series, which is expensive territory. And after £1500 ($2k) I cannot fathom why anyone wouldn't just buy a Lowden.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Stitch said:
Seagull's will be the best of the bunch here I reckon. Nice Martin's really only begin around the 000-15R and even then it's a fingerpicking, warm acoustic with no upper fret access that you wouldn't like, I feel. Taylors are nice but I think they only get interesting after the 5-series, which is expensive territory. And after £1500 ($2k) I cannot fathom why anyone wouldn't just buy a Lowden.
Good luck getting a lowden for 2k here. Used MAYBE if you hawked eBay for weeks. I can get a hide glued Santa Cruz for the price of a lowden here

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Call me crazy but unless I'm buying a Taylor or Larivee, I'm quite happy with a cheap Washburn. That's what I have and it sounds and plays great. It's by no means a perfect guitar, but it records really nicely.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Call me crazy but unless I'm buying a Taylor or Larivee, I'm quite happy with a cheap Washburn. That's what I have and it sounds and plays great. It's by no means a perfect guitar, but it records really nicely.
I'm happy with my cheap Ibanez(s), but they're both thin-body. They play fantastic and are great for jamming, but I want a 3/4 or fullsize to record with.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The Takamine G-series are great. Play a bunch and find a good one. Also Seagull and Washburn are great bang-for-the-buck acoustic manufacturers too.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Seagull FTW. You can get a pretty sick Seagull for $700, and even my S6 kicks ass and I only paid $350 for it. Best bang for the buck out there.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Seagulls are killer.

But I bought one of these for $500 used with case and it gets comments and double-takes all the time:
Buy Martin D-15 Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar | 6 String Acoustic Guitars | Musician's Friend

The all-mahogany construction doesn't have the snappy highs and the deep lows, but it doesn't slack in either department with phosphor bronze strings and has a sweet fucking midrange that works well with fingerpicking, solo lines and chording. If I were you, I'd get the cutaway, though. :2cents:

·
Registered
214 Posts
A number of years ago I went into a guitar shop (Haight Ashbury Music Center, for those familiar) and tried out all sorts of mid - moderately high end acoustics. I was totally let down my Martin, Taylor, etc. unless they got super expensive, but I was totally blown away by the A&L guitars. I think it stands for Arts and Lutherie, and they're out of Canada, and they make amazingly good sounding acoustics for a really good price. To this day I haven't found anything I like better.

Also, a second recommendation is the Carvin acoustics. They have low action right from the shop, and play amazingly well. And as is typical of Carvin, you get a lot for your money.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
A number of years ago I went into a guitar shop (Haight Ashbury Music Center, for those familiar) and tried out all sorts of mid - moderately high end acoustics. I was totally let down my Martin, Taylor, etc. unless they got super expensive, but I was totally blown away by the A&L guitars. I think it stands for Arts and Lutherie, and they're out of Canada, and they make amazingly good sounding acoustics for a really good price. To this day I haven't found anything I like better.

Also, a second recommendation is the Carvin acoustics. They have low action right from the shop, and play amazingly well. And as is typical of Carvin, you get a lot for your money.
Art et Lutherie are fantastic guitars, and are part of the same group that owns and manufactures Seagull guitars - part of the Godin group.

FYI, they also make the cheap-but-good low-end Gibsons that are made in Canada, not America. Great group, quality instruments.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Though I ended up buying a Martin today, and somewhat OT, I will say that I never realized how nice the really high end Gibson acoustics are. I fiddled around on one in the 3k range today and was completely blown away.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts