Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some more tonal options. Pretty much every humbuckered guitar i own has a high output pickup. I've not really tried many lower output options. Currently leaning towards some Duncan Antiquities but i'm open to suggestions.

I'll be playing rock/blues sort of tones. Im using an axefx but also have a quite a few drive pedals. At the moment im thinking of Joe Bonamassa sort of sound but in truth i'd probably be using a bit more gain.

Thanks!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
+1 PAF, awesome, super versatile pickups that sound good in just about anything IMO.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Don’t know your budget....

The bare knuckle black dog and VHII are both excellent mid gain pickups. The VHII is brighter where the bd has more grunt.

The WCR Godwood is a super thick PAF style, great if your guitar is slightly thinner sounding.

The Lollar Imperial is outstanding in every way.

The Wolfe that Mike mentioned is great too...

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Dont spend your cash on the Duncan Antiquities unless you know you want them.

The SH-55 is the same thing as the Antiquities without the aging. Its literally designed by Seth Lover and wound on an original Gibson winder. Its as close as you will get to a real PAF.

Having done the high output and low output thing myself, I would recommend starting with a Duncan SH-1 59 Set or the DiMarzio PAF Set (DP103 & DP223) (not the PAF pro). Both are lower output but not vintage low.

Then if you want less even again, try the Alnico II Pro's or SH-55s from Duncan. On the DiMarzio front, you can try the PAF Masters or the PAF 59.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks. I'll go do some reading on these suggestions. I should note i do currently have a JB/59 set in my Edwards and a ive got a Paf Pro in the guitar im going to be upgrading, its what making me want to try lower output pups. I like it but its not quite what im after.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I recently put a TB-59 in my beater Jackson Performer, coupled with a really subtle bass roll-off knob (like Alan's "passive tight control" in the DIY section here). That guitar is in drop B and sounds absolutely incredible with the 59. It's really defined and has a ton of sustain, but without any compression, so it just sounds massive.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I've not tried the Marshallhead, so I can't comment on it. I've tried several other PAFs and ended up settling with the Lindy Fralin Pure PAF. Fantastic pickup and can be ordered +5 if you need a bit more oomph.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I LOVE the PAF Pro in the neck position, but it's definitely a more "modern" take on a PAF than it is a true low/medium vintage voiced pickup. Still, it rules.

What are these going in, sounds like maybe some sort of LP? I've got a set of Duncan Alnico IIs that are quite good in my PRS Singlecut, for a more traditional PAF sound. On the hotter, more modern end, deeply in the "medium" output territory, the AT1 really was a pretty awesome bridge pickup, especially for thick, singing lead tones. I used it in a Strat, but Timmons has a mahogany bodied superstrat he uses it in too to great effect.

Also on the more "modern PAF" end, and I'd say brighter and more articulate than a "traditional" PAF though while still having more than enough "helft" to them, I was also really surprised by the Thornbuckers in my (mahogany bodied, maple topped) Suhr 6.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Seymore Duncan Custom in the neck position of one guitar and I really like it, I believe its designed more for the bridge but I put one in the neck because give me 10 right ways of doing something and 1 wrong way ill pick the wrong way. AM planning on replacing the bridge JB with another custom at some point

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The SH-55 is the same thing as the Antiquities without the aging. Its literally designed by Seth Lover and wound on an original Gibson winder. Its as close as you will get to a real PAF.
I really like the Seth Lovers and used them for years. Having said that, for around $50 more you can get a Wolfetone Dr Vintage set that blows the Duncans out of the water. It's not even a comparison; the Wolfetones are so open and present sounding that it was like taking a blanket off the speaker.

However, both pickups absolutely do not compress under gain. They're lower output A2 pickups, so a broad, open sound is what they're all about. For classic rock, I'd get the Marshallheads instead.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
What are these going in, sounds like maybe some sort of LP? I've got a set of Duncan Alnico IIs that are quite good in my PRS Singlecut, for a more traditional PAF sound.
Those, and the Slash set that is based on them, are the overlooked gems of the Duncan line.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
I've had good experience with the Dimarzio Air Classic, The Norton (just norton not air norton), and the Fred.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
No love for the dimarzio 36th anniversary set?

SD 59's are fun, had them in a USA hamer and put a set in my old Custom 22 as well.

I have canadian-made 59 style PAFS in a singlecut right now. The bridge is perfect, the neck seems to have found all the bass frequencies :lol:. Depending on the guitar, you may need to mix and match.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
No love for the dimarzio 36th anniversary set?

SD 59's are fun, had them in a USA hamer and put a set in my old Custom 22 as well.

I have canadian-made 59 style PAFS in a singlecut right now. The bridge is perfect, the neck seems to have found all the bass frequencies :lol:. Depending on the guitar, you may need to mix and match.
I had them in my post :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Then if you want less even again, try the Alnico II Pro's or SH-55s from Duncan. On the DiMarzio front, you can try the PAF Masters or the PAF 59.
If you're going to do the A2Ps, do the Slash set. It's the best thing Duncan makes.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts