Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I really like the Seth Lovers and used them for years. Having said that, for around $50 more you can get a Wolfetone Dr Vintage set that blows the Duncans out of the water. It's not even a comparison; the Wolfetones are so open and present sounding that it was like taking a blanket off the speaker.

However, both pickups absolutely do not compress under gain. They're lower output A2 pickups, so a broad, open sound is what they're all about. For classic rock, I'd get the Marshallheads instead.
This. Those Dr. Vintage pickups are the real deal in anything even slightly LP-ish.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I've not tried the Marshallhead, so I can't comment on it. I've tried several other PAFs and ended up settling with the Lindy Fralin Pure PAF. Fantastic pickup and can be ordered +5 if you need a bit more oomph.
Those are excellent pickups. Well worth the price.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wolftone really needs to get some better soundclips on youtube. Not really liking any of the clips i've seen but i see lots of people recommending them.

At the moment im leaning towards either the Fralins or the Lollars. The antiquities seem to have a muddy neck, seen quite a few posts about it on different forums. I love the lollar p90's i just installed but i also love the fralin neck ive got in my tele. I doubt i can go wrong with either. Just working out if i want hotter Lollars or not, i do plan to play with a fair amount of gain.

It's going into a superstrat i just completed building. Has a mahog body and neck, maple fretboard and walnut top. Sounds more like my LP than my mahog Ibanez (RG321MH) which i was basing it off. Part of the reason im thinking Paf will sound good in it. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Wolftone really needs to get some better soundclips on youtube. Not really liking any of the clips i've seen but i see lots of people recommending them.

At the moment im leaning towards either the Fralins or the Lollars. The antiquities seem to have a muddy neck, seen quite a few posts about it on different forums. I love the lollar p90's i just installed but i also love the fralin neck ive got in my tele. I doubt i can go wrong with either. Just working out if i want hotter Lollars or not, i do plan to play with a fair amount of gain.

It's going into a superstrat i just completed building. Has a mahog body and neck, maple fretboard and walnut top. Sounds more like my LP than my mahog Ibanez (RG321MH) which i was basing it off. Part of the reason im thinking Paf will sound good in it. Here's a pic:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts

Nice looking axe!

So a couple things here. Your bridge pickup is REALLY close to the bridge. Like a goo 3/4" closer than most guitars you will hear in most sound demos. This is going to make a huge difference in the tone of the pickup. It will be way brighter than you expect because it is so close to the bridge. Seeing this, I would recommend you try something less bright than a vintage PAF.

My first thought is Tone Zone. Its warmer than other medium output pickups. Next suggestion is the Custom 5 (SH-14 I think?). A lot of guys love it. I hate it because its not a bright pickup. YMMV.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks *******, bridge placement was considered. Based this on a RG321MH that i love, actually most guitars ive built have been based on that guitar to some degree. It's not quite as far back as you think. On my Ibby its 28.5mm from saddle take off to bridge pickup. On this guitar its 25mm. A number i have found to work quite well in the past (by accident) i misplaced the bridge one time and found that i really liked how that guitar turned out. It's still my favourite guitar ive made. So now i base pickup locations from it.

Currently have a super distortion in the bridge. A pickup that i normally find quite thick and its a little overwhelming, to much low end. Im sure a TZ would be a bit overkill on this guitar. Great pickup, used it last yr on a Albert Lee copy i made. JSut what that guitar needed as it was a very "thin" sounding guitar so the TZ and AN filled it out.

That said i am a bit worried about having the Paf bridge, for the reason you mentioned. Just hoping this guitar is dark enough for it. Ideally id like to be able to get a similar tone to my lollar p90's. The p90 bridge is a screamer, works great for rythym but is chunky enough for lead work to. Im normally a neck is for lead guy but the p90 bridge is killer for that.

Lastly, ive got a custom 5 here. Not a fan. Current plan is to change the magnets on it and see if that wont fix it. I find it has a fizzy top end, unlike say the Distiortion or JB. Actually thinking of trying it on on this guitar while waiting for the Pafs.

But thanks for the suggestions man!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The heastock is Ibanez shaped with matching claro walnut. Has my name/signature engraved on it so i wont be posting that (dont want to dox myself). But happy to post some more pics when i get a chance.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts

Oh my. :drool:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The heastock is Ibanez shaped with matching claro walnut. Has my name/signature engraved on it so i wont be posting that (dont want to dox myself). But happy to post some more pics when i get a chance.
Some shitty MS Paint concealing, perhaps?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Thanks *******, bridge placement was considered. Based this on a RG321MH that i love, actually most guitars ive built have been based on that guitar to some degree. It's not quite as far back as you think. On my Ibby its 28.5mm from saddle take off to bridge pickup. On this guitar its 25mm. A number i have found to work quite well in the past (by accident) i misplaced the bridge one time and found that i really liked how that guitar turned out. It's still my favourite guitar ive made. So now i base pickup locations from it.
But thanks for the suggestions man!
No problem man! I am happy to help.

As for the humbucker placement, I assume you are 25mm from the edge of the pickup bobbin to the high-e saddle which is usually right on the scale length measurement? If you arent sure, can you measure from the nut to the center of the pickup?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yeah, it's a problem. I took the leap when the 7 string options were BKP, Duncan and DiMarzio, and what he sent me was so awesome Dave ordered some. The soundclips suck, but honestly soundclips for pickups never work anyway.

I wouldn't try to dissuade you from either of those, especially the Imperial.

:drool:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Some shitty MS Paint concealing, perhaps?
Can do!

No problem man! I am happy to help.

As for the humbucker placement, I assume you are 25mm from the edge of the pickup bobbin to the high-e saddle which is usually right on the scale length measurement? If you arent sure, can you measure from the nut to the center of the pickup?
Yeah 25mm from edge of the bobbin to scale length line (saddle/string take off). I Just dug out my book (ive made a note book with measurements and tips to remind me of various things while building, build order, scale lengths ect..) RG321mh is 28.5mm (to scale line), PRS SE is 27.5mm and my Edwards is 25.3mm
What ive not noticed until now is the Edwards is pretty bang on where i now place my pickups. Makes sense as i do use mahogany/Qld maple (its very similar to mahog despite the name) with maple tops on most of my builds. Though last yr i did use torrified maple necks, which i think i prefer the feel of once oiled up.

The soundclips suck, but honestly soundclips for pickups never work anyway.
True that, or its the other way and they sound way to good.. BKP i'm looking at you!

·
Read Only
3 Posts
The Lollar Imperials have been amazing in everything I've put them in (so much so, that I've had to buy more). I have them in a few guitars now (not relevant here, but the 7 string Imperial is amazing) . I also have the Fralin Sunbucker Blues in the neck of one of my guitars, which is my favorite neck humbucker. It's clear and articulate, but not thin like a Jazz, and warm at the same time, but not muddy like the 59. My *personal* ideal mid-gain set would be an overwound Lollar Imperial bridge with a Fralin Sunbucker Blues (normal wind) neck.

If you want a super *fat* tone, the JWP/WCR Godwood is incredible. I just put them in to a guitar at the start of quarantine, so I don't have the same level of experience with them as the others I've listed, but so far they've blown me away.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
The Lollar Imperials have been amazing in everything I've put them in (so much so, that I've had to buy more). I have them in a few guitars now (not relevant here, but the 7 string Imperial is amazing) . I also have the Fralin Sunbucker Blues in the neck of one of my guitars, which is my favorite neck humbucker. It's clear and articulate, but not thin like a Jazz, and warm at the same time, but not muddy like the 59. My *personal* ideal mid-gain set would be an overwound Lollar Imperial bridge with a Fralin Sunbucker Blues (normal wind) neck.

If you want a super *fat* tone, the JWP/WCR Godwood is incredible. I just put them in to a guitar at the start of quarantine, so I don't have the same level of experience with them as the others I've listed, but so far they've blown me away.
I've seen 2 other posts that say the Fralin neck and Lollar bridge is a good combo. If i could order them from the same place to save on shipping id consider it. Also just came across WCR pickups, seemed to very popular a few yrs back, im not really after a "fat" tone. This guitar is very fat/thick as it is. Even the Paf Pro is super thick in it. I'm thinking a low wind Imperial should be a good match. Lollar says the high wind is good for "thin" sounding guitars like SG, thickens out the sound a little. That's not need here.

Ive got a search on ebay/gumtree for Fralins/WRC so may pick up a used set down the road.

Thanks man!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts