Metal Guitarist Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll go do some reading on these suggestions. I should note i do currently have a JB/59 set in my Edwards and a ive got a Paf Pro in the guitar im going to be upgrading, its what making me want to try lower output pups. I like it but its not quite what im after. mobdro apk

Regards, authorityapk

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Keep in mind that lower-output Alnico 5 pickups will have a tendency to be bright-sounding, which the PAF Pro definitely is. Hotter A5 winds tend to be more compressed and give a nice bump in the low mids. For vintage output, I prefer Alnico 2, generally.

Since they aren't compressed, lower output pickups will better show off the detail in the your playing--for good and bad! Harder to get good chug out of them, but string definition will be much better even for metal playing. It's a trade-off.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Update time:

I installed the low wind imperials (Lollar) and man they are perfect! The guitar is very thick (lots of low end) but it gives the rhythm (bridge) sound real heft. Cant help but play acdc riffs. Also really suits Van Halen type tones too. Neck is killer for softer blues type and handles gain very well, im stacking a few drives and its just killer but it shines withedge of breakup. Dig in and your get some grit then play a bit softer and it gets very clean but very bold. Ive been playing with out a pick as the dynamics are super fun to mess with.

The neck coil split is fantastic. Not overly glassy like some other pickups i've split. Over all i'm really happy, ive had the pickups in there for a month + and the honey moon faze hasn't ended yet. Currently using the afx2 Fender super reverb model with a Klon clone i built and recnetrly finshed a Hudson broadcast clone which is fantastic too.

Ive since ordered a Special T tele bridge pickup from lollar, going to compare it to the Suhr i've currently got in my t-type. Looks to ahve higher gain with less treble which is what im looking for in that guitar. The Suhr is great but im pretty impressed wiht the other lollar pickups ive tried. Its arrived i jsut need some free time to install it .

41 - 44 of 44 Posts