Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Suhr 7 is rather unhappy with the 68 low B, and I'm trying to sort out why before taking it apart.

The other 6 strings are fine, the action is great and I have almost perfect relief in the neck. That said, the low B string chokes out from 12-24. I've tried tentatively raising the bridge quite a bit but that doesn't solve it, which leads me to think that it's either time for a small shim in the pocket or perhaps at the bass side of the nut.

Tech dudes: What should I try first? The guitar is plek'd and the fretwork is immaculate (and it was fine with whatever it shipped with.. a 58, iirc).

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Buzz at the top of the neck usually makes me think either a high/partial high fret ( not likely here) or too much neck relief being compensated for by too low a bridge height. What's your relief like?

I mean, obviously I'll give this a look in 48 hours, too. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:wub:

I have almost perfect relief in the neck.
The rest of the guitar is spot on, it's just the low B. It has about 0.2mm at the 12th, and it's a compound radius neck. (11-16)

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Cant be relief if its 12-24. The effect of relief ends round 15 or so. Its either neck angle (unlikely or all strings would do the same) frets or fretboard. Or a bit of both.

The guitar may well have been completely perfectly fretted, but once strings are on and the board starts to compress under the tension, and when it gets in a new climate, the frets move around. Fairly unpredictably at that. First thing I'd do is go hunting for high spots under the travel of the B. The I'd level em.

Worst case, the fretboard has a bump in it. Seen that before. I'd still just get the frets level, but the right thing to do there is get the board partially re-profiled.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm on a fucking train to New York drinking a Dogfish Head 90, and you expect me to read for detail?!? :fawk:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cant be relief if its 12-24. The effect of relief ends round 15 or so. Its either neck angle (unlikely or all strings would do the same) frets or fretboard. Or a bit of both.

The guitar may well have been completely perfectly fretted, but once strings are on and the board starts to compress under the tension, and when it gets in a new climate, the frets move around. Fairly unpredictably at that. First thing I'd do is go hunting for high spots under the travel of the B. The I'd level em.

Worst case, the fretboard has a bump in it. Seen that before. I'd still just get the frets level, but the right thing to do there is get the board partially re-profiled.
It's not a new climate, the guitar came from Matt's, which is an hour south of me, and it's had strings on it for a good while (it was in the store for a few months). It's not entirely 12-24, it's actually more like 12-16, and then gets better up the neck (but still some buzz). The only choked fret is the 12th.

I think reprofiling the board on a $3000 freshly fretted and plek'd Suhr is a tad extreme of a jump at this point. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
It's not neck angle, that's for sure. Lifted fret(s) is possible but I'd hope not since it's a brand new Suhr... Perhaps the guitar has a truss rod issue, I don't know. We've been having truss rod issues at Collings lately, Plek'ing doesn't solve them, it has to do with construction when we are having issues...

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
It's not a new climate, the guitar came from Matt's, which is an hour south of me, and it's had strings on it for a good while (it was in the store for a few months). It's not entirely 12-24, it's actually more like 12-16, and then gets better up the neck (but still some buzz). The only choked fret is the 12th.

I think reprofiling the board on a $3000 freshly fretted and plek'd Suhr is a tad extreme of a jump at this point. :lol:
Just covering all the bases. Has all the hallmarks of a high fret or two by the sound of it (if its localised to one string and 12-16).

Gauge and tension changes can do this as well. Its not just going from no strings to strings.

It can even just be a slow process: it takes a while for pressure on a fret to move it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not neck angle, that's for sure. Lifted fret(s) is possible but I'd hope not since it's a brand new Suhr... Perhaps the guitar has a truss rod issue, I don't know. We've been having truss rod issues at Collings lately, Plek'ing doesn't solve them, it has to do with construction when we are having issues...
Wouldn't it have the issue with the lighter string as well if that was the case? Like I said - no problems at all with the 58, it just doesn't like the 68.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I threw a fret rocker on there anyway btw and the frets are definitely level.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I suppose you could gradually move up in string gauge and stop when it gets too buzzy, at least until you find the real solution.

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━&#
1,986 Posts
One option is to send the guitar to Suhr for another plek using your preferred sized steel cables :)

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Hmmm, without rehashing the previously mentioned possible fret level issue (which you say is ok after checking with a rocker), I'm going to suggest that it sounds like a possible rising tongue on the bass-side, which is very common on bolt-neck guitars. After adjusting the neck as dead straight as possible, a notched straightedge will show you this, whereas the rocker shows only the fret level, not possible irregularities in the fingerboard itself.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
One option is to send the guitar to Suhr for another plek using your preferred sized steel cables :)
I was going to suggest at least giving them a call and asking.

It's highly possible that Suhr has their Plek dialed in so perfectly that they've done precise relief offsets for the exact gauge of strings they ship with. A different gauge is going to have different vibration pattern and amplitude, so that could cause it to rattle against the upper frets.

Give them a call and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I was going to suggest at least giving them a call and asking.

It's highly possible that Suhr has their Plek dialed in so perfectly that they've done precise relief offsets for the exact gauge of strings they ship with. A different gauge is going to have different vibration pattern and amplitude, so that could cause it to rattle against the upper frets.

Give them a call and see what they say.
Actually, isn't that how you're supposed to use a Plek? When I was talking to Glaser Guitars in Nashville about doing mine, he explained that you have to Plek the guitar for a given tension.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts