Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

You're asking an entirely subjective question though. Better can only be decided by you. I like the marshall tone so I want to say dsl. But having never tried that amp, it may do high gain poorly. It also depends on what type of high gain you want.

So really, pick a place with a good return policy, buy both and return the one you like less.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm probably going to get the HT 5R soon. From what I've read, they handle high gain pretty well, but the clean channel is just alright.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
What types of tones do you prefer? Any favorite tones from an album?

·
Musica
148 Posts
Which sounds better.... Marshall dsl15c or Blackstar metal hr5?
I have both. I i think they are both great in different ways. The blackstar has a modern, creamy feel on the gain channel with a nice tightening compression as you roll up the dirt. The clean channel is a great platform for pedals, as it has a nic effects loop. The emulated out is great for recording demos. Regular tracking, I mic it. The isf allows for tonal variation, but you have to remember to adjust the EQ accordingly. It allows you to overdub different sounds, building a track with varied frequencies. This amp is not giggable without at least a 2x12 or being mic'd. On the other hand, the marshall does a great classic distortion on the first channel with a nice OD pedal. The dirty channel has a strong punch with very nice mids. The marshall comes with an OK speaker. I switched it to celestion vintage 30. I use it when I jam, and mic it as needed.They are different tools.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
What types of tones do you prefer? Any favorite tones from an album?
This is, as always, a great question. Kinda tough to make blind recommendations without having any idea what sounds one goes for.

The Laney Ironheart stuff seems cool too, and it's in that general range.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts