Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first thread here! Cool to join the community.

Anyways my question is in regards to buying a new amp, particularly one of the low wattage variety. I'm moving soon and will be living in an apartment but I still want to have the ability to play live shows and what not. I've checked some solid states like PODs and such and am interested in those too but right now I want to just ask about tubes. My budget is in the 300-400 range. I play death metal and black metal but still like to play with cleans from time to time. What small tube amp can pull off the brutal high gain at TV volume then go devour souls at gigs without a PA? Some added info to work with, I use a Marshall 1960B Cab and i'm totally willing to throw an overdrive pedal in front of the sucker.

So far I've heard a lot about the H&K Tubemeister, the Blackstar HT series, the Jet City JCA stuff, and the Randall Diavlo stuff. Thanks for any thoughts you throw into the mix!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
A lot of people are going to recommend the HT-5. I think it sounds like crap, but I'm in the minority.

In that price range I'd grab a used 6505 combo.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Yeah, if you want to be able to gig without a PA in a decent-sized room, you might have to go to 50 watts, though a 30-watt Mesa/Boogie might do the trick. Maybe look into a DC-3 or F-30 head or combo. I know my F-30 will pump out more volume than one would reasonably expect out of a 30-watt amp.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Most Mesa's can be dialed in for the bedroom, and re-dialed for the stage, but you may not find one for <$400.

HT-5 will sound great in the bedroom, but not on stage.

JCA's are awesome for rock'n roll, but I wouldn't suggest one for death metal.

I'll second the 6505 suggestion… but if you've already got a cab, grab a head :yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
i just sold my vht special 6 ultra, killer little amp but i just got my 11 rack so i didnt really need it any more for bedroom playing. still had some awesome tones though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:)

Jet City 22. Plenty of gain. Plenty of volume.

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
To be fair, a full size 6505+ sounds fairly decent down low, but it's just out of your budget.
Fuck me, right? :lol:

There's always the HT-5 Metal. That could work. Can't say I've tried one though.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I'd get a Line 6 Pod HD Pro rackmount Pre amp and save cash for a Tube Power Amp if you already have a 4x12 cab on hand.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
There's also the Laney Ironheart studio and the Engl Ironball, which are both 15 watts.

Ironheart demo:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
A few great suggestions so far. Rather than just parroting the same stuff, I figure the best value you'll get out of this thread is gathering a list of stuff to look into further, so in keeping with that, I'll suggest the Orange Terror line (since it hasn't been mentioned so far).

The three I've played that I was particularly impressed by were the Micro Terror, the *newer* Tiny Terror (not the Dual), and the Jim Root Terror. I haven't played the rest of the line but I haven't been too impressed by the clips I heard enough to want to try them out. The only other caveat I'll mention, they seem to be very particular with regard to what kind of cabinet you use them with; I tried them through a shitty 1x12 and they sounded like crap but through an Orange and a Mesa 2x12, they sounded lush. :2c:

I'm not sure of your budget but I know Bogner offers a pretty robust line of low watt amps now, as well. There's so many of them and I honestly haven't tried one out, so that's something you'll have to dig into further if they interest you.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I love my HT5 and you'll find more people lovin' it than hatin' it. Haven't tried it myself, but like you said, check out the Randall RD5. IMO, a 6505 is waaaaay too loud for bedroom use in an appartment. BUT, you get to gig with it.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
There's also the Laney Ironheart studio and the Engl Ironball, which are both 15 watts.

Ironheart demo:
Laney Ironheart IRT Studio Rack Mount Review - Inc USB re-amping demo - YouTube
Since when is the Ironball under $500? :rofl:

I love my HT5 and you'll find more people lovin' it than hatin' it. Haven't tried it myself, but like you said, check out the Randall RD5. IMO, a 6505 is waaaaay too loud for bedroom use in an appartment. BUT, you get to gig with it.
I'd say the HT-5 is definitely worth a shot, since it is love/hate, but I happen to really dig it. I thought it had a ton of really usable tones in it.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I'd say the HT-5 is definitely worth a shot, since it is love/hate, but I happen to really dig it. I thought it had a ton of really usable tones in it.
Agreed. Add a boost up front and an EQ in the loop and usable tones are multiplied.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts