Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my main guitar at the moment is a Ibanez RG7421xl (your basic RG specs with a bartione scale) and I really really like but it still has the stock pickups in it so I know it could sound a lot better.

I've heard that lower output pickups are really dynamic and clear sounding pickups so I'd really like to give them a go. Although I mainly play thrah and death metal type of stuff, I really love dynamics and how you can control that with your picking hand, especially when playing leads.

So what would you guys recommend me for a tight and bright metal tone with a nice punch to it? I'm playing through my Mesa mark III with a boost in front. I also don't have a lot of money so bareknucles and wolftone rewinds are probably not in my budget right now.

Thanks for your help :yesway:

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
Why wait to pull them out of a K7 when you can just BUY a set of PAF7s?

I gotta agree though, the PAF7s are excellent. I had an axe with a PAF7 in the bridge & an Air Norton 7 in the neck. The PAF7 changed my whole perception about lower output pups.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Why wait to pull them out of a K7 when you can just BUY a set of PAF7s?

I gotta agree though, the PAF7s are excellent. I had an axe with a PAF7 in the bridge & an Air Norton 7 in the neck. The PAF7 changed my whole perception about lower output pups.
Because if he puts the gray pickups from a K7 into a Gray Nickel 7421XL, it will look supremely hot. ;)

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Maybe a '59-7 in the bridge and a Jazz-7 in the neck. I've had a '59-7 in the neck before and found it to be a little too bassy, but it may work better in a bridge application. The Jazz-7 is awesome, but i'm not sure how either of these pickups would sound in a basswood body.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts