Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short I got a killer deal on a new/mint Mesa 1x12 cab that will be coming in soon, so I’m looking for a lunchbox or mini head to pair with it to use at home. Need suggestions!

And yes, JBA5150. Definitely considering a 6505 MH, just not sure if it’s the best option (probably is with the audience here).

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
I have an Engl Gigmaster 15, which is great. The EVH 15w things seem to be good too

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
PRS MT15 or Mesa Mark V25. I've owned both and a few other lunchbox amps as well, and they're IMO the best lunchbox amps out there. The new EVH LBX with the red channel I assume is killer too.

I'd personally go for the MT15 as it has 6L6s and can drive much more if you need it. The Mark V25 has arguably better tone and more options, but if you ever play out with it you'll get much more headroom from the PRS, forget the lower wattage rating. The PRS is half the price as well.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I’d check out the Invective too. IIRC they’re about the same price as the 6505, but I could be wrong.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
The Invective is $100 more. Get a JCA22h. You can get em cheap, mod options are nearly limitless and you can take the extra cash and buy another Solar to sell to Guitar Center.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Invective is $100 more. Get a JCA22h. You can get em cheap, mod options are nearly limitless and you can take the extra cash and buy another Solar to sell to Guitar Center.
:denzel:

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
So many good options, but if you dont have a EQ pedal already... factor in a MXR 10 band... they just make anything better.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So long story short I got a killer deal on a new/mint Mesa 1x12 cab that will be coming in soon, so I'm looking for a lunchbox or mini head to pair with it to use at home. Need suggestions!

And yes, JBA5150. Definitely considering a 6505 MH, just not sure if it's the best option (probably is with the audience here).
I'll cut you a MG bro price on a V:25! :)

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The only thing about the MT15 is that it has the most lazy ass graphic design for the logo ever. I can't get past it. :lol:

MT15

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
What’s your price range? The 6505MH is the best bang for the buck. The Rectoverb 25/Mini Recto are more versatile, but nearly twice the price. The Mark V:25 is expensive, but absolutely the best sounding of all the lunchbox amps, short of the Soldano.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I’m thinking more MT15, 6505MH, EVH LBX, Invective MH type of money and less REVV G20, Fortin Sigil, Victory Kraken kind of money. :lol: So basically under a grand (which most Mesa stuff is probably out then unless I catch a great deal).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I bought a Mesa 1x12 and Engl Thunder 50 head on the same outing, at my local GC, as a present to myself for getting a new job. It's a killer kick-around combo :)

The Engl and my Mesa Studio Preamp are the only two amps I think I've ever not needed a boost for to get heavy, fwiw.

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
I'm thinking more MT15, 6505MH, EVH LBX, Invective MH type of money and less REVV G20, Fortin Sigil, Victory Kraken kind of money. :lol: So basically under a grand (which most Mesa stuff is probably out then unless I catch a great deal).
I've recently picked up a second hand Kraken, really enjoying getting to know it, but if you need crystal cleans look elsewhere!

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
a friend has one of those orange micro darks. only ever hear good things about it. i think the dark version has an effects loop too.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
I'm thinking more MT15, 6505MH, EVH LBX, Invective MH type of money and less REVV G20, Fortin Sigil, Victory Kraken kind of money. :lol: So basically under a grand (which most Mesa stuff is probably out then unless I catch a great deal).
Of those, I go Invective. According to guys in the know in the Invective group on FB, they're shipping from the factory now with January availability at retailers.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Of those, I go Invective. According to guys in the know in the Invective group on FB, they're shipping from the factory now with January availability at retailers.
I didn't mean that as a completely exhaustive list of the specific options I'm looking at, just was giving ideas on price range I'm looking at. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts