Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple - MacBook Pro - Superfast processors, graphics, and I/O.

Apple - Thunderbolt: Next-generation high-speed I/O technology.

With 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions, Thunderbolt I/O technology lets you move data to and from peripherals up to 20 times faster than with USB 2.0 and more than 12 times faster than with FireWire 800. Two 10-Gbps channels on the same connector mean you can daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices and a display, without using a hub - and without reducing performance.
10 Gbps???

·
Read Only
10 Posts
That's genius. I'm sure that they have a slew of TB-enabled devices ready to be announced.

This will be absolutely sick for recording to external media.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

And I thought usb3 was unreasonably fast. The daisy chain idea is BRILlANT

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Woohoo! More Apple-only proprietary connectors!

I mean, I'm all for speed, but USB has shown that even an arguably superior connection will fall by the wayside in favor of universal compatibility. Hopefully some non-Apple branded stuff will come out to make this a worthwhile connection.

·
Squirrel...
3,157 Posts
Thunderbolt is Intel's Lightpeak, which they are suppose to be announcing this afternoon. Hopefully you'll see it on more than just apple products soon enough.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My only other concern is cost of adoption :erk:

USB succeeded because of its enormous install base.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My install base is bigger than yours.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
You're better off than India though. Apparently one of the major reasons for the lack of condom use there is because Western condoms don't fit.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Clever, thunderbolt is MDP form factor (and the port can be used as such), with Intels lightwtfever transfer rates. Seems like it can be swapped to 8 channel audio HDMI as well. Fucking schmancy

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
And a big reason why USB succeeded was Apple closing the door on all kinds of legacy connectors and forcing its adoption with the introduction of the iMac.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I was a little worried that Intel was going to keep using the "Light Peak" code name in the final product and confuse the hell out of people, but it looks like Thunderbolt is the name across the board. I bet the Apple h8rs will still call it "Light Peak" though. ;)

Thunderbolt Technology

It looks like Apogee and Avid are already on board, so it looks like there are going to be some pretty powerful interfaces just around the corner.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts