Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done searching but I can't find the answer. My guitar comes with Gotoh's that I believe are 18:1, and I want to replace them with Sperzal's which I see are 12:1. What does this mean, and do I have to drill to make the holes in the headstock bigger?

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
the ratio refers to the amount of spins you make on the key to how fast the winding peg spins. it doesnt have anything to do with the size of the hole. but yea, you'll at the very least have to drill for the little stabalizing pegs that sperzels have, but its pretty minor. i dont know if they mounting holes will be the same size(probably not excatly)

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,837 Posts
if you have a higher ratio, it should make the winding peg turn at a slower rate, makeing more precise adjustments easier.

Basically its 12 or 18 turns to the key and 1 full turn to the winding peg, hence 18:1 and 12:1

I personally never found one better than the other, and have always prefered sperzels

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Next question, what does the ratio of question marks in the thread title mean towards the amount of help the OP gets? :lol: This thread seems to show a 1:1 ratio of number of posts after the OP before the question is resolved to number of question marks in the thread title.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I've done searching but I can't find the answer. My guitar comes with Gotoh's that I believe are 18:1, and I want to replace them with Sperzal's which I see are 12:1. What does this mean, and do I have to drill to make the holes in the headstock bigger?
Skip the Spertzels, get some Schaller locking minis. They're just as good, but more importantly, they're a direct retrofit for Gotoh.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Sperzels are manufactured to a much higher tolerance than other plated tuners since anodizing is uniformly thin, whereas plating is inherently uneven so they have to design a little more "slop" to the tuners. I've never had a problem with Sperzels being too "vague."

Also, those Steinberger tuners look nice on paper but can be annoying to deal with; they don't always grip the thinner unwound strings properly and can't accept heavy strings either.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
They're pretty badass in this application actually:

·
Registered
180 Posts
go with the Schallers.
while those sperzels are very well made, tuning can be a bitch. you breathe on those things and your out of tune. as Noodles tech, I gladly grab his guitars by the Schallers and twist. more than solid. ive tried the sperzels, but when I'm using a Strobo-stomp to tune guitars, in the dark, stageside I don't wanna have to play that much to get them to tune.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
go with the Schallers.
while those sperzels are very well made, tuning can be a bitch. you breathe on those things and your out of tune. as Noodles tech, I gladly grab his guitars by the Schallers and twist. more than solid. ive tried the sperzels, but when I'm using a Strobo-stomp to tune guitars, in the dark, stageside I don't wanna have to play that much to get them to tune.
Never had that issue, Sperzels are the only tuners I use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts