1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Nice work...judging from the video, my preference is for the Blackouts. They're less fizzy distorted, more defined, dynamic & with more presence to my ears. they also sound deeper, warmer, fuller & just plain nicer played clean...

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Nice work...judging from the video, my preference is for the Blackouts. They're less fizzy distorted, more defined, dynamic & with more presence to my ears. they also sound deeper, warmer, fuller & just plain nicer played clean...
You must've been watching a different video than me, then. :lol:

That said, I preferred the "grind" on the Blackouts for the rhythm work but it was a dead heat between the two for everything else.

Great clip and thank you. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That said, I preferred the "grind" on the Blackouts for the rhythm work but it was a dead heat between the two for everything else.

Great clip and thank you. :yesway:
:agreed: I agree with that quite a bit. The only rhythm guitar work I really prefer the EMG707s for is stuff that stays pretty low mainly on the low B string, particularly stuff that is palm muted.

I agree with Phantasmagoria that the Blackouts are more defined (for rhythm guitar ONLY), but I strongly disagree that the Blackouts are deeper. The EMGS are WAY deeper than the Blackouts. The Blackouts have more mid response and the EMG707s have more bass response.

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
Yeah, the stronger mids fill the sound out more I guess..they sound fuller, I guess that's what I meant...more presence really.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I've never liked the 707s. To me, they combine the worst features of the EMG-81 and 85 without any of the benefits of either. The 81-7 blows away the 707 as a bridge pickup.

That said, the Blackouts don't really give you that characteristic EMG "hifi" sound and are very much their own thing. I much prefer Blackouts for my legato style, whether distorted or clean, but I can see why people might like the extra edge that EMGs give.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Holy fuck dude. :lol: We have very similar playing styles.

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
I liked the neck 707 cleans more than the blackouts, but prefer the BO's for everything else. Good vid :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Holy fuck dude. :lol: We have very similar playing styles.
:lol: Do we? I've sent you my band's songs lots of times before and you never mentioned that. :lol: I guess you just had to see my fingers movin'?

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
:lol: Do we? I've sent you my band's songs lots of times before and you never mentioned that. :lol: I guess you just had to see my fingers movin'?
It's mainly the clean shit :lol: We use a lot of the same chords in nearly the same way. Must be all the Opeth?

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's mainly the clean shit :lol: We use a lot of the same chords in nearly the same way. Must be all the Opeth?
:lol: Nah, I've used chords like this since before I listened to Opeth. The first clean part was from a song I wrote like 6 years ago (before I had ever listened to Opeth).

I just like really dark creepy sounding stuff. :cool:

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Wirelessly posted (iPhone : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG01B) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

:agreed:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts