1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Pretty, but I'm kind of sick of sandboxes right now :shrug:

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Yeah i think everyone is so jaded after the GTA IV experience. That they're looking at this as another "been there, done that" game.

I'll probably pick this up later on. One thing that's scaring me away was just how unbelievably buggy the original version was on the PC. I'll be keeping an eye on the gaming forums about how good the QA was this time around.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Demo was released today on Xbox Live. Which seems to be a bit earlier than I would've thought. Rumor already floating around is that pre-sales of this have been disappointing. So the demo was probably released a bit earlier to help stir up some interest.

Haven't downloaded it yet. But already on the forums people are complaining about Aliasing issues with the graphics.

·
Jigsaw?
3,913 Posts
I'm looking forward to the demo. I played the first one some and it did a great job of making you feel like a tommy gun toting mobster.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
Downloaded it earlier. Very meh unfortunately. Get the sense the story will be quite good, but the controls are very sticky and it doesn't feel very new. The cars handle like the cars in the Godfather game which basically for me felt like driving a massive bar of soap.
The guns are reasonably meaty. I definitely don't think it's a must buy for me. Wil wait for the reviews and maybe pick it up when the price drops (which it inevitably will).

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Downloaded it earlier. Very meh unfortunately. Get the sense the story will be quite good, but the controls are very sticky and it doesn't feel very new.
+1 to this. Saw the demo over at a friends place and tried it out briefly. Not impressed.

Also, the game does have a bit of an older PC-game feel to it. Not sure what it is, but it doesn't feel very polished. I'll have to download this on my 360 and give it another try. But I've already got the impression that this game didn't have a very large budget, and probably was way behind schedule. I really don't see THAT much of an improvement over the original to warrant an 8 year gap between this and the original Mafia game.

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I played about 2-3 hours last night in Mafia II. I've got to say it's a great game and a must-buy for anyone into mafia films. This one has a definite Goodfellas meets Sopranos vibe to it. The early part of the game takes place in a BEAUTIFUL snowy New York replica city, and the city itself is very detailed, though it's a bit small.

The gunplay is classic 3rd person cover like GOW and Mass Effect, and the guns pack a lot of wallop. One or two well placed shots takes everyone down.

Some odd things to make the game more realistic I guess, your character has to eat or drink every few hours to replenish health, and cars require stops at gas stations.

Lastly then I'll shut up about the game, there's a fair bit of racism in the game so far, but it's no different than comments made in The Godfather or throughout the Sopranos seasons, and in a way it makes the game feel more realistic because people really (unfortunately) talked like that a lot in those days. Let's just say the Italian word for eggplant is used a lot and by the main character and his buddies.

Overall, I'd recommend the game, but do not play it around children.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Let's just say the Italian word for eggplant is used a lot and by the main character and his buddies.
:rofl: Well if you go into the right sections of Brooklyn and Queens. They still use that term... a LOT.

It would seem that the gaming industry press is already writing it off as a flop. Their publisher is estimating they won't be making their money back on it.
Mafia 2 Likely Not Profitable, No GTA V Until 2012? - IndustryGamers

it's been another story for Mafia II. "Mafia II's average Metacritic score of 74 is well below expectations, and consumer interest appears to be waning, as the game's position has dropped in many best-seller lists in its first week. With six years in development, we believe the game is unlikely to achieve profitability,"
I'll check it out eventually. Just for all the Italian stereotypes. Although I might as well just wait for it to end up in the bargain bin if it's doing this badly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts